No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut glass biscuit barrel  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Domans

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • United kingdom
Cut glass biscuit barrel
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
Hello helpful and knowledgeable glass lovers,
I bought this lovely biscuit barrel and a large pressed glass bowl with handles recently in a secondhand shop. I know absolutely nothing about cut glass and although I have trawled the web I don't know how to search for particular patterns. The pressed glass piece is very heavy and has dragon handles and has a yellowy look to the glass. I wonder if anyone can help me to  know something about either. Could the maker of the barrel be identified by the particular pattern?  And could it be crystal, if so how would I tell the difference?
Thank you again in anticipation of your help

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cut glass biscuit barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
sorry, can't help with attributions for either, but the following comments will be of use to members trying to provide answers  -  also best to post one piece of glass per post - helps to avoid confusion :)       
It will help if you can post pix which will enlarge when clicked - this will assist with trying to determine which patterns you have, and always helpful to give dimensions.
The biscuit barrel looks grey due to the presence of lead oxide - added to improve the light refracting properties in cut glass, and to produce a less hard material that is easier to cut - in the U.K. the minimum lead content should be 24% but may be as hight as 33%.         Look carefully for a backstamp (makers name) on the underside - can be very difficult to see, sometimes  -  pieces can be attributed to a particular cut pattern, if you know which factory to start with.       If the factory remains unknown then provenance relies on recognition from catalogues, usually, or someone's memory.              Lead crystal will sometimes ring if struck (gently) - although this doesn't guarantee it's lead, apparently.
With regard to the pressed bowl, you might try Pamela's site ...  http.www.pressglas.pavillon.de -  awlays a good start with pressed material.
A yellow tint is often an indication of the absence of lead, which is what you'd expect, generally, with pressed glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
obviously didn't have the link quite right.........   http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/     :)

Offline Domans

• Members
    • art glass
    • United kingdom
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Thank you Paul for your help.

I looked at the pressed glass link, couldn't see one with same patterns as mine but it will be a great site to use as a reference. I know what you mean about posting photos that can be enlarged, just not very technical I'm afraid.
Thanks again
Pam

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
When you resize a high-res picture, make the longest dimension 700 pixels. That usually works to give a file small enough to attach and big enough to blow up.

Offline Domans

• Members
    • art glass
    • United kingdom
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
Thank you for your help Lustrousstone. I'll try that. You are such a lot of helpful people on the Glass Message Board-much appreciated.
Pam

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
I don't know which is the more difficult.....running down cut glass, or pressed patterns.           Thanks to Pamela's kindness in sharing her knowledge, we are extremely fortunate in having access to so many catalogues for pressed glass - most of these being for Continental factories.      If you want details of British pressed glass designs, you will need to buy one or two books and perhaps the odd CD or two.               Unfortunately, there is far less access to catalogues and patterns for cut glass - and knowledge comes via experience and/or finding a backstamp  - the name of the factory acid badged on the underside of the foot (usually).           Biscuit barrels had a long run for their money - pressed examples are mostly C19 whereas cut examples such as yours are C20, generally  -  first half C20 cut glass is quite recognizable - the style of cutting tends to be run of the mill, usually, and often the cutting lacks sharpness which was a feature of earlier work (there is a reason for this which I won't go into here  -  I'm well aware that I write too much as it is!!)            Assume you unable to see a backstamp, in which case you may have a problem  -  guess they were made in vast numbers during the period 1920 - 1960.         If you can post more detailed pix of the pattern/design, plus pic of the underside together with size, we can at least try one or two suggestions.
Anyway, glad you like cut glass  -  we need more addicts, and if you get to see the really good stuff you'll be really hooked. ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
I have a bowl just like your second piece - the one with the dragon (or 'serpent') handles.

Brockwitz of Germany made a bowl (pattern no. 9076a) with similar (but not identical) serpent handles, designed Freidrich Scheiner, and which appeared in the Brockwitz 1941 catalogue /musterbuch. See:
http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/artdeco_glass/brockwitz_glass/brockwitzglass_home.htm
and
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Brockwitz-1941.86+B6YmFja1BJRD04NiZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MzczMiZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD04NiZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

'Our' bowl certainly has a Brockwitz air about it, especially the very intricate imitation cut pattern on the bowl, and I have seen several others like it attributed to Brockwitz (presumably because of the serpent/dragon handles), but I can't seem to find it in any of the Brockwitz catalogues.

Offline Domans

• Members
    • art glass
    • United kingdom
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Thank you agincourt17 for information about my pressed glass piece. I had looked, as I thought, everywhere but for some reason I thought it was American because of the intricate detail in the pattern. I certainly can see similarities between my bowl and the Brockwitz patterns, especially in the handles and some of the detailed patterns.
Pam

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Pam  -  don't know whether you have facility to re-size pix  -  but there is a programme available called IrfanView, and which is free to download - simple and very useful. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand