No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Bird  (Read 1669 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Selkirk Bird
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
I have a small collection of Selkirk so I bought this. A Selkirk bird with label and etched Selkirk Scotland 2000. All the info there I suppose. If anyone can add to this, appreciated.

Adam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Selkirk Bird
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »
I have about 30 in all different colours....does that add to it?  I believe they were made by Chris Dodds before he moved to open his own studio Tweedsmuir Glass as I have some of the ducks, birds and animals he made there and the style is identical.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Thanks Rosie. 30, that's some collection. I have nearly that many animals, but they are all different makers. I haven't seen these before strangely enough, though there was one on eBay today. Thanks for the info as well.

Adam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »
I'll be listing a Chris Dodds Tweedsmuir Glass duck this weekend so you can see the similarities.
Rosie.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
I believe they were made by Chris Dodds before he moved to open his own studio Tweedsmuir Glass ....
Definitely designed by Chris Dodds - as stated in the 1992 Selkirk catalogue. He started Tweedsmuir in 1993 - so obviously (Adam's bird being marked 2000) the design was continued for some time after he had left.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
That dating is really useful Wuff, because I have a large collection of Chris Dodds Tweedsmuir Glass Studio glass... a beautiful large Gold owl, two large eagles, one gold leaf covered, the other iridescent, an iridescent green squirrel, several smaller squirrels, cats ducks and what were sold as foxes, but I believe they are ginger cats.
Added to these are the Selkirk glass collection that are Chris Dodds designs... ducks, some with very very rare colourways, rabbits, elephants squirrels and cats as well as some beautiful badgers. Quite a haul, and still growing. All are dated so I will now be able to work out if they are pre or post Chris being there at Selkirk Studios.
I understand that Chris Dodds is no longer working in glass, so these will become more collectable in time.
Do you have any information you can add to this Wuff?  I am sure there are many of us who would be glad to know.
Rosie.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
I understand that Chris Dodds is no longer working in glass, so these will become more collectable in time.
Do you have any information you can add to this Wuff?
I can neither deny nor confirm this - I can only say that I have not been in contact with him for years.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand