No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id help please antique french paperweight clichy ?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Re: id help please antique french paperweight clichy ?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
Just thinking does this mean that some people who have bought what they have thought was clichy weights now find they have Grenelle weights
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
I suspect that lots of (?most) people have bought weights in error over the years, believing what antique shops tell them or what it says on a label at an antique fair, or what the eBay advert says, or accepting the views of fellow collectors, as well as misleading themselves!  However, there are fewer StM and Grenelle around than there are Clichy weights.

But it works both ways - I have been shown a very nice Bacchus that the shop had labelled as a Murano, with a Murano price. And an antique Baccarat garland that was put on eBay as Murano, Buy it Now £29.99 - which the current owner did!  And I have bought several Clichy on eBay that were not identified as such.....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »
Thank you, Alan.  It was the St Mande / Grenelle confusion particularly which interested me, as I have a few small weights previously identified as St Mande which I now need to look at again in the light of the new information.  Thank you particularly for the information about cog canes. 

I shall certainly investigate the writings of Philippe Frère and the others you mention. 

Thanks again. 
Leni

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
the white star cane on this clichy looks a lot like the star canes in my weight. might be wishful thinking.
stew
http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s441/Sparky7724/16-09-12/?action=view&current=IMG_1434s.jpg

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
Do you mean the white, 6-point star canes that make up the outer row of the complex, mainly white, cane in the Clichy weight?

If so, then I would say that matching simple canes, such as a basic 6-point star, is not the way to go - unless the cane has a distinctive feature.

For example, if the points of the star were all flattened at the tip, or were split into two or three spikes at the tip, then that feature could be used as a possible marker for a specific maker.
KevinH

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »
well i tried  ::)  i wonder if i will ever get this glass game

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
the white star cane on this clichy looks a lot like the star canes in my weight. might be wishful thinking.
stew
http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s441/Sparky7724/16-09-12/?action=view&current=IMG_1434s.jpg
I hope this one's Clichy, I just sold it as such ;)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »

Hi. I'm sure that is a  Clichy paperweight!

As some GMB Members know, I am writing a series of articles on millefiori cane design for the PCC Newsletter. Just to illustrate the challeneges that antique millefiori cane ID can present, below are two images of canes.

The first shows two close-ups of canes that might be taken to be from the same source, given the use of square tubes, and blue and white concentric canes - and the similarity of colours. But they are not even from the same countries!

The second shows some individual canes. The two left hand columns represent different makers in different countries...and the extra cane on the right is from a third maker.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand