No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are these USA ebay items MDG ? The second example is superb !  (Read 8941 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Are these USA ebay items MDG ? The second example is superb !
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
Well spotted !

Anyone buying would have to buy both and then swap the stoppers !

Very interesting that the name has changed to Malta Craft Glass with the letters CGL (I guess craft glass limited) rather than MDG . Anyone know when that happened ?

Here is a link to another thread I startad on MDG . The green bottle is one of yours John and you can see it on the last page (through John's link). The decoration just looks a bit silver leafy, that's how I got the wrong end of the stick.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46630.0.html

Ta, Mike.

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Mike

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »
There seems to be a few pieces of MDG cropping up lately, there's a handful of different MDG pieces currently for sale in the states, normally listed as Mdina. I think this rather nice decanter that's recently been listed is also an MDG piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MDINA-ART-GLASS-EARTH-RANGE-TONE-SMALL-DECANTER-9-1-2-/110966334581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d61be475

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
Well spotted you, Mike! Labels are few and far between, and often worn. I've not seen Malta Craft Glass, or the different letters around the cross on the label before.
So I don't know anything about this at all.  ;D

Greg, that's a gorgeous bottle, definitely MDG, most probably Boffo alone - it's so finely made - narrow flange etc. It's very like mine!

Ummm, John, Christine.... why are we telling everybody about this, rather than grabbing it all for ourselves?  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
Well it is so good of you all to share your expertise and knowledge .

At least a bigger picture can unfold, of MDG, the more people that are out there looking for and appreciating it !

My personal interest in Boffo came about a few years ago when I found a Boffo fish in a charity shop in Castle Cary (not far from Shepton Mallet show ground) . I didn't know about the  Boffos or Boffo fish so I didn't buy it. A few days later I was searching Whitefriars.com members galleries and found a photo of a Boffo fish , the same colour (Kingfisher Blue) . So I had to find out who Boffo was .....then discovered penguins and all manner of other delights including MDG.  There was an Antiques Fair at Shepton Mallet not long after I saw the fish in the shop . I think it might have turned up there and I think I know who may have bought it, but that's another story  ;) !!

Anyway , it's all so fascinating and I'm pleased you haven't seen the label Sue , more intrigue !

ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »
Eeeeeek - keep away from those penguins.... I'm certainly having nothing to do with any them!  ;D
(I'm not at all fond of the animal things, and it's just far too contentious, there are so many dreadful penguin things - probably apprentices having their very first go at hot glass!)
I'm sticking with the beautiful glass vessels, based on the MH designs but executed with Boffo skill.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Gorgeous !

Mike

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Just wondering out of curiosity if this rather nice globe is another piece of MDG...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MDINA-Art-Glass-Turquoise-Blue-Vase-/370593806751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56491cb99f

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
yes, Greg  ;D
Baken-beans, those penguins mean trouble.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
Very funny !!

I thought this might be one also...there is a red label on the base , could this be a MDG label ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300800704025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The blue globe vase is superb !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand