No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dented vase - Victorian?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline valjk

• Members
  • So much to learn, so little time . . .
    • Whitefriars
    • England
Dented vase - Victorian?
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
This is a little vase or fingerbowl from a mixed auction lot, 5.5cm high.  It has dented sides and a strangely greasy-looking (rather than opalescent) surface.  No pontil mark but the rim has been ground - and chipped, alas!  The surface is not smooth but slightly rippled in a naturalistic way.  The slightly opaque green colour (less bright than the photo) and the shape make it look very like Roman glass I've seen in a museum.  Could this be a Victorian piece inspired by ancient glass, or something more modern?  The only examples I've managed to find on the web are Harry Powell and Daum, but I don't think I could be that lucky!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Dented vase - Victorian?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
Hello valjk,could we see some more pictures,base and rim shots,a close up of the surface treatment might help,it looks a bit Bohemian,around 1900-20 ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline valjk

• Members
    • Whitefriars
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
Hi Keith,
I'll get the camera out and see what I can do!  It may be tricky to photograph the surface; it was so greasy looking I tried washing the smears off, but found they were part of the glass.  Will add more photos over the next couple of days.
Valerie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »
I think what you're talking about is iridescence

Offline valjk

• Members
    • Whitefriars
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
Hi,
(I've just tried posting a reply but a photo was too big, trying again.)  I hope these photos will show enough detail to enable someone to identify this vase.  The rim is polished smooth on the upper surface but there is a small outer edge which is also polished but very nibbled and a little sharp.  I'm wondering if the damage was caused by the vase being enclosed at some point in a metal framework, although this seems a bit unlikely for something so small.  I took the surface photo with a flash and the vase was transformed into a wondrously different, multi-coloured object, but unfortunately in normal light is just a dull green!  I hope you can see what I mean about the surface looking greasy, with horizontal smears as if wiped with an oily cloth.
Thank you all for taking the time to look at this little object; it's not valuable but it is unusual (to me) and I'm hoping to learn from it.
Valerie

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »
hi
if you look up 'Art Nouveau iridescent vase' you may find vases on images that are similar, i.e iridescent and have that multi coloured sheen to them.  This finish is done in the making process and cannot be washed off (hope you didn't try and scour it off )
I don't know what your vase is or who made it but other makers to look up are Kralik and Loetz.  It might be Kralik possibly who did make 'dented' vases?
The bevelled rim of the vase looks as though it has been chipped over time, but I guess it dates to around 1900-1910 ish perhaps.
Hope this is helpful for you to search more.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »
Ditto to what Christine and m said, ;D,have a look at Kralik glass.com,some great pieces there ;D ;D

Offline valjk

• Members
    • Whitefriars
    • England
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
Many thanks for this advice!  I've been having a look at Google images for Loetz and Kralik and at the Kralik glass website, and have found several small pieces which are very similar to mine.  One Kralik piece has exactly the same beveled edge - including the damage!  I've also seen images of some fabulous vases from these makers, it's quite a revelation.  I'm now a real fan of Bohemian glass, and a couple of weeks ago I hadn't even heard of it.  Is glass addictive?

Thanks to you all,
Valerie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:57 AM »
Short answer, yes!

Offline keith