No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Glasses or not ?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Old Glasses or not ?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the comments. I have been searching, a lot, and have got down to either Late Georgian, Bucket Bowl, Flute Cut Dram or Spirit 1820/30 ish  :) or Victorian similar description.  I have seen this style of glass in both periods but none have the 'V' cuts around the bottom of the bowl. These are only the second time I have bought Antique Glass. I learn from here, some books (one you suggested a while back) and the internet. As they were in my price bracket  they were worth a look at. I have seen this being referred to as a'deceptive' glass. I'm not so sure but can see why other glasses are called that.
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
can say these aren't 'deceptive' glasses  -  if the toastmaster drank from these all night he be legless.      Yours are normal capacity glasses -  if they were deceptive, they'd hold vastly less.            Deceptive glasses come in a variety of patterns/designs  -  it's the small quantity they hold that gives them their name, not what they look like. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »
Thats what I thought. The Deceptives have very shallow bowls, sure I have been in a Pub using them. Thanks.

Offline JOK

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
Here are a couple of Deceptive wine glasses in the same auction as the Amen glass (6th November):

http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/halls/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=3017&LotRef=143

http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/halls/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=3017&LotRef=145

Very shallow 'bowl', so not much room for wine.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
HI ,
          Just to clarify , 18th c deceptive glasses don't have shallow bowls they have bowls with very thick walls which taper down to the base of the bowl,the idea is that the glass looks like a normal capacity wine or dram glass but actually holds far less than a normal 1 ,so the Toastmaster appears to be having his share , but stays fairly sober , it is recorded that some toasting sessions could amount to several dozen toasts at 1 sitting

cheers,

Peter.

Offline JOK

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »
Yes, that's right about 18th century deceptive glasses, they have a funnel shaped cavity rather than shallow bowl. I've just re-checked the ones from upstairs (you can probably guess where I work!).

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »
It make sense when you think about it. It looks like a full glass but you don't drink as much. Could work both sides of the bar. Barman gives short measures and the person that like me hates getting drunk can still seem sociable but clear headed. Will be ordering a set made ! People think it strange I don't drink and have never been an alcoholic !!  I like a brandy or a glass of wine but can't handle hangovers.  I will be listing these soon. Thanks for the knowledge all. Much appreciated as it all helps.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
 ;D
 The' King over the water' .

cheers ,
                  Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
insurrection - sedition - fifth columnist - rebel ..........presumably you're toasting Charles Edward Stuart in exile in France, where he died - with a Jacobite Amen glass.        You're the less handsome guy on the left, we think, Peter ;) ;)        The toast is presumably being made over a finger bowl container water - is that correct?         Thanks to your suggestion, I've now read Geoffrey Wills' book - chapter 11 - which covers most of this subject - and a very worth while read it is.        Would have thought someone like you might at least have had one of the 'Butler Buggin' bowls ;) ;)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
LOL
             That would be me yes,with a 15yr old Glenlivet in the Amen glass with a Jacobite water glass below. as for the 'Butler Buggins',who says I haven't lol

cheers ,
            Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand