No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help please green controlled bubble handled vase  (Read 1020 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
ID help please green controlled bubble handled vase
« on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
I hve this handled vase 18.5 cms tall which I can't ID. It has controlled oval bubbles which get larger towards the top and a polished out pontil mark. I am assuming that it is not Whitefriars, although seems to be reasonable quality and wear to base I thought may indicate some age, and hoping someone can point me in right direction (hopefully not a far eastern direction). All thoughts welcome and appreciated John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vanmann

• Members
Re: ID help please green controlled bubble handled vase
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »
Any possibility that this could be Murano?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
No - there is hardly any glassmaking skill or frivolity involved which is the essential  trade mark of anything Murano. It also does not look like Empoli verde due to the wide pontil mark and the just-a-little-too bright colour green. I would expect this heavy item was made in Bohemia (Exbor?) as I have seen similar items in a different technique - but same mistake of putting a handle on a tall cylindrical Vase. It is assumption, so don't bite me. Alternative options are Germany and Sweden....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Thanks Ivo, At least European rather than oriental

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum