No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fostoria Madonna sold by Tiara Exclusives  (Read 2272 times)

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
Fostoria Madonna sold by Tiara Exclusives
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
Trying to figure this out and thought maybe someone here could help. I have a crystal madonna that I know was made from a Fostoria mold. I believe they sold some of their molds (including the madonna) after they closed to Indiana Glass. Tiara Exclusive sold a "crystal etched" (frosted) madonna made by Indiana Glass(?). However I have not found any information anywhere that Tiara or Indiana Glass reproduced the madonna in plain crystal. Did this mold go somewhere after Indiana Glass? Did Indiana Glass reproduce it in crystal and I just can't find that info? HELP!

Thank you,
Patti

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Fostoria Madonna sold by Tiara Exclusives
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
Lancaster Colony owned both Fostoria & Indiana plus Lancaster glass so when they closed Fostoria many molds were simply transferred to Indiana who made Tiara, however the odds are much higher that your crystal Madonna is Fostoria. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
Thank you for the information Ken.  : )

Here's my dilemma: To my knowledge the madonna I have/had was made by Fostoria. I sold the figurine and after the buyer received it she complained that it was not made by Fostoria and is returning it. I have researched and researched again and still have not found any company that reproduced the madonna in plain crystal (not frosted). She complained the quality of the glass is not that of Fostoria. I just don't know what to do.  : (

Patti

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
Patti I think I know the problem may be. Indiana & Lancaster made items for the Fostoria outlet stores long after Fostoria closed in 1986. I know for a fact that Lancaster made the Elephant bookends for the outlest using the old molds & Modonna was also made for the outlets by Indiana (other than Tiara) but I don't remember if they were straight crystal or satin so its entirely possible that either Lancaster or Indiana made a run for the outlets & their crystal chemical batch formula was different than original Fostoria. Example: Lancaster made utility crystal for Wendy's & it was commercial grade tank glass. Another problem you could run into is Fostoria American as 95% of all Ruby American  was made by Dalzell Viking Glass Company in the late 80s early 90s under contract from Lancaster Colony. Bottom line is it could be the Madonna is inferior quality tank crystal if it was made for the outlets. I believe the last remaining outlet in the U.S. is in Logan, Ohio 45 minutes away from me. Most of them closed by 2005. Ken

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
Wow Ken I had never heard this information before now. How in the world did you learn all this? This may be exactly where the madonna came from, though I personally didn't think the glass was commercial grade. But your explanation is probably right on. Thank you!

Patti

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:22:05 AM »
Patti, 38 years in buying, selling & collecting U.S. glass plus (1) Lancaster Glass is only 36 miles from my house & (2) the Lancaster plant American Flint Glass Workers’ Union chief rep for 19 years was a friend of mine so I had an "in" when it came to LC (Lancaster Colony) who owned Lancaster, Indiana & a few of their other holdings.  Ken

Offline butterflyspray

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »
Ken, I am so very appreciative of your willingness to share your extensive knowledge with everyone.  After hours and hours of research on the madonna dilemma I was unable to figure it out. You solved a huge problem for me. Thank you again! (Good thing you are not my neighbor because I'd be spending most days at your house, listening.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand