No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear trinket set with ‘feathered’ fan decoration - ID = Ernst Buder  (Read 4051 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A flamboyant clear glass (looks like pressed crystal) trinket set - pair of candlesticks, tray and lidded trinket pot.

The pot lid and body, and foot of each candlestick, are hexagonal, and the tray is octagonal .

The body, lid and large fan-shaped lid finial of the pot, and the foot and fan-shaped stem of the candlestick, are heavily decorated with alternating angular plain and rounded ‘feathered’ ridges.

The underside of the tray is decorated with angular radial plain ridges grouped in panels of four alternating with single ‘feathered’ ridges.

I’ve seen other examples of pieces from this set, and they have always been of clear glass.

ID’s, comments or suggestions, please?

(Permission for re-use of these images on GMB granted by naughtynouveau).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Photo showing the pin tray in addition to the tray and a candlestick.

So… the curtains open to reveal another Ernst Buder set:

Candlesticks pattern 356, on page 22 of 1960 catalogue at
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Ernst-Buder-1960.307+B6YmFja1BJRD0zMDcmcHJvZHVjdElEPTEyNzU4JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTMwNyZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Tray pattern number 264, on page 11 at
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Ernst-Buder-1960.307+B6YmFja1BJRD0zMDcmcHJvZHVjdElEPTEyNzUzJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTMwNyZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Lidded pot, flask and pin tray pattern number 560, on page 30 at
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Ernst-Buder-1960.307+B6YmFja1BJRD0zMDcmcHJvZHVjdElEPTEyNzY2JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTMwNyZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

(Sorry about the length of the links but I’m still trying to work out how to truncate them).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Oh isn't that super, Fred! A lovely set, and this new Buder catalogue is providing answers to some of our mysteries...  I'm delighted! :)

By the way, there's a help post about how to do the short links as well: Short URL Links  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for the tip about the short links, Anne - it should enable me to tidy up my posts in future.

The old catalogues certainly are a fantastic resource - it's just such a shame that copyright on their reproduction seems to be so problematic.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: Glass Trinket Sets website
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
Thanks Fred I see Pamela has the vase ID as Reich c.1935....another set for you Anne this time Ernst Buder 560/561...

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Re: Glass Trinket Sets website
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
Oooh lovely, Angela, thank you for sending the photos over. I've been able to pick them up via email tonight now I'm back on the main computer and can access the network again to get them uploaded to GTS. My tablet is handy but I can't update my sites from it!

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Ernst Buder Set 560.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Some pictures to add to the 560 set, with measurements if required.

Candlestick.  Height 13.5cms.
Lidded Pot.  Height  13cms.    Bowl  12.5 x 7.5cms.
Pin Tray.   13.5 x 9.0cms.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Re: Ernst Buder Set 560.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 09:54:44 PM »
Trying to make some sense of the 1960 catalogue.  Can I make the following suggestions.

Page 20, open salts.  Could these be dual purpose?  Number 346 looks the same as the pin dish pictured with set 550.  The 347 would fit well with the 510 set.  The 033 bowl on P.2 looks more appropriate to set 530, than where it shown with set 510.

I'd also suggest that the large tray number 204 would be a better match with the 510 set, making the "Sunset" design consistent.  Tray number 264 with the 560 set and tray number 205 with set 530.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 01:55:37 AM »
Thank you for both these posts, they are really useful. I've added the images credited to you onto the GTS website.

As to the pin trays / open salts, I'd say yes they could be dual function.

The 346 certainly appears to match the pintray shown in the 550 set photos.

I don't think 347 goes with 510, as the 510 is often seen with a small round pintray which might be 031, 032 or 033 from page 2 of the catalogue, but as you say those three are a better match for 530 than for 510. I suppose it would depend on what the buyers wanted as to what pieces were combined to make sets.

As to the big trays, the sets in the catalogue came with small (comb) trays, but as British consumers clearly liked the big trays in their sets, perhaps the buyers added larger matching trays to some sets to satisfy their consumers.

As the late Bernard Cavalot was fond of reminding us on the board, what the buyers for big stores wanted, they got. Just because the catalogue showed a set as A, B, C didn't mean that the manufacturer wouldn't mix and match so if the buyer wanted A, C and X, then they could have it, all in the interest of making those sales. :)

I think it would be useful to add the large trays as separate items in the Buder catalogue, as well as showing them with the sets they've been found with.  I'll add that to my to do list.  Thanks for all your very helpful suggestions.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
I certainly agree with Bernard's thoughts on the relationship between buyers and manufacturers.

My first thought about the 510 set was that sellers were matching up pieces to the photos and making identical "sets", when to me, they are obviously not. 

Taking a longer look at the Buder sets in general it strikes me how few photos have been uploaded of any of them.  One of the first pieces of glass I sold on ebay was a powder bowl from the 530 set (and regret doing so since) but I've never seen another.  From looking out for pieces of Buder sets for several years, I now don't think there is any "pool" of pieces for sellers to put together to make up sets.

Of the 560 set pieces I uploaded pictures of, the bowl lid and pin dish arrived damaged although individually very well packed with plenty of padding around each piece.  I've sent several hundred pieces of glass through the post without any breakages and couldn't fault the sellers packaging. 

Perhaps the buyers back then knew that Buder glass is particularly fragile and mixed together pieces they though had the best chance of surviving the journey.  The 510 powder bowl and candlesticks have survived in some numbers, but perhaps not much else has??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand