No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who designed this Kosta Boda Votive?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Who designed this Kosta Boda Votive?
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:18:48 PM »
I just picked up this Kosta Boda votive candle holder (well, I think that's what it is :shock: :?  ) in an antique shop.  I just liked the look of it   ::)
I thought it looked Scandi, but only knew it was Kosta Boda because it has a label on the bottom   ;D

But what I would like to know is, can anyone tell me a) who the designer might be?  b) what is the name of the design? and c) when was it produced? 

Thanks very much   ;D
Leni

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 07:00:56 AM »
Having gone through a sample of 1990's and 2000's sales catalogs for
Kosta Boda, I was unable to find the votive.

My guess would be Rolf Sinnemark as he did a similar votive but this is only a guess

It is machine made. There were a lot of them sold in Sweden because of its tulip shape. We see them in second shops all the time.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:11:55 AM »
Thank you, Bill  :D

I am interested that you say, "It is machine made" 'cos it implies that there are some which aren't machine made - or am I misunderstanding!   :shock:  'Cos I thought they were all machine made - as in pressed! :?

I now have 3 or 4 votive candle holders, although I'm not sure of the make of the others as they don't have labels, but they are all similar and I presumed they were all pressed and that was how these things were made!  Are there versions that are 'hand made' then?   :shock:
Leni

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »
Most of the candle holders especially votives are machine made.
However, there are a number of candleholders which are hand blown
free hand or into molds.
I offer the "Felicia" candlesticks of blown candleholders. Kosta Boda is the
company. Another example is "johanfors" by Ann Wählström

With the use of the centrifuge, many votive designs can be created using this technique rather than designated as pressed glass.

Sven Palmqvist was the originator of and developed the centrifuge to create glass forms ie. Fuga.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 11:02:57 PM »
Thanks again, Bill!   :D   Superb and fascinating information!    :shock:   I'm really grateful to you for taking the time to educate me!  :D
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand