No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson bowl '1910 M' in matt black.  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Davidson bowl '1910 M' in matt black.
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
Maybe production numbers for black were lower than other colours, but for me black is always a very difficult colour to find.          There's hardly a boot sale I visit where Davidson/Cloud glass is absent, but it's always other colours.       The seller insisted this was Wedgwood 'basalt'.
Seems that this design may have started somewhere in the early '20's and may have still been around in the '40's - although believe there was a long gap in the production of black in the 1930's for some reason.         Black can grow on you - very classical and stately, and pic. is just for show  -  understand there may not presently be the level of interest in Davidson there was a few years back - diameter is c. 6.5" (165mm). :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Davidson bowl '1910 M' in matt black.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Great find Paul,don't think I've ever seen one in black,not in 'the flesh' ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
thanks Keith...........it's also rare for me to find all three pieces of these things - there's usually at least one of the compenents missing :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
What a great find, Paul! I've not seen any of the matt black in the flesh either round here, so I guess it's not that common - unlike the Bagley blacks which we see much more of!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand