No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed vase - please help to identifty - ID = Peter Layton, UK  (Read 2637 times)

Offline valjk

• Members
  • So much to learn, so little time . . .
    • Whitefriars
    • England
Signed vase - please help to identifty - ID = Peter Layton, UK
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
I got this lovely little vase in an auction lot, and have spent hours trying to identify it without success.  I think possibly Murano but can't find anything quite like it.  The signature could be a maker's name, because it looks like it might end in "glas".  The red colour is only at the top and bottom.  The pontil mark is rather rough, and the narrow base makes the vase a bit unstable.  The top opening is also very narrow, so it's definitely "art" rather than a practical object.  I hope someone can identify it for me, because I've given up!  Or can anyone tell me what terms to search for?  I don't know the name for this type of swirly decoration, although I think "cased glass" might be part of it.
Thanks,
Valerie

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Signed vase - please help to identifty
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:17 AM »
?? ??

Why do people have to write so Sloppy......LOL

wonder is a studio glass, or somehow I am also leaning ?? to maybe Japan Studio Glass.  Do not know why, just throwing it out there.

Looks like it starts with a *B* in my opinion.......LOOKS like something like *BIJAPUR* ??    ???
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:44:41 AM »
Isn't this another variation of Peter Layton's signature? Usually it is read as "Taylor", so this example is slightly more ambiguous than usual.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
I agree with Trevor - Peter Layton.
m

Offline valjk

• Members
  • So much to learn, so little time . . .
    • Whitefriars
    • England
Re: Signed vase - please help to identifty - ID = Peter Layton, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »
Wow, you've done in a few hours what I've spent weeks trying to do in vain, many thanks to Trevor, Flying Free and Antiquerose123 for your help.  I've just had a look at Peter Layton's website and current work, what fabulous colours!  I got this piece more or less by accident - it came in an auction lot with something else I wanted - but if I ever come into money I will try to get some more from this artist, his pieces have such life in them.
Thanks again,
Valerie

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Signed vase - please help to identifty - ID = Peter Layton, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:35:46 AM »
Wow, you've done in a few hours what I've spent weeks trying to do in vain, many thanks to Trevor, Flying Free and Antiquerose123 for your help.

( I scratched my name out in the quote ABOVE because..........LOL.........Do NOT think I helped you much, as I was out in LEFT-Field with my guess.......roflmao )

Thanks, I was just trying to figure out the messy writing......LOL.   

The others knew much more than me, and So Glad they could figure it out for you ;)

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand