No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two organic bowls, how made and by whom?  (Read 968 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Two organic bowls, how made and by whom?
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »
The two bowls in the photos have rough but still glossy surfaces everywhere except in the region of their rims where the surface is generally quite smooth. They are nearly as rough inside as outside. The surface reminds me somewhat of sand casting of metals, although in this case there has been some fire polishing to restore a glossy surface.

The opaque white one is 20.5cm long and weighs 840g, while the clear and white one is slightly smaller at 19.5cm long and weighs 725g.  How are these made and by whom?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline circull

• Members
Re: Two organic bowls, how made and by whom?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:18 AM »
hi there.
these are american blenko pieces.
i have an exact match to the solid white one.
truly,
chad

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Two organic bowls, how made and by whom?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:44 AM »
Thanks, Chad. That's great information.

A little exploration around the internet reveals these are Blenko product #966, designed by Winslow Anderson in the early 1950s. The popular name seems to be "amoeba".

They were made in a vast variety of organic shapes and typical Blenko colours, as well as the white and clear combinations shown here. For a typical range see the 1960 Blenko catalog here. They remained in production until well into the 1970s.

I'm still curious as to how they were made: obviously by hand and presumably with the assistance of open molds.

They were inexpensive items then and now. The price in the 1960 catalog is $2.00 (presumably wholesale). There are several on offer on US ebay and other auction sites for not much more than that in real terms, mostly $20-30.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand