No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Strathearn mystery!  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Liz

• Members
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
Yes, it's all Don's fault!  :)

Can't wait to read your photography tips, I have had a blast experimenting using my new tips! Most of my frustrations have been operator error, compounded by a new camera with too many features. I had mastered all 3 settings on my old Pentax!

Liz
Liz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 12:00:14 AM »
Hi Liz,

Nice photos of the canes. Well done.

Yes, I can now see that your date cane is certainly 67. In fact, I think its the same as cane (ref DCP1967-4636D4 Orange 67-1) in Richard's site, although Richard's example seems to have become tinted with blue rather than being a definite white.

You had previously raised a point that I had not commented on:
... other canes, I had described as non-descript, appear to have more similarities to the older canes described before the 67 period canes.
That is correct. Many of the canes in Strathearn weights were made in the years when the company was Vasart Ltd (1956 to 1964) and probably just as many were made in the days when it was Ysart Brothers Glass (1946 to 1956). Some canes may even have been made in the 1930s before the creation of Vasart.

So weights like yours are quite likely to have a mix of canes with some looking "older" and others looking "more modern". For Strathearn wieghts, with the exception of date canes, nobody to my knowledge has been able to give an actual year when any particular millefiori cane was first made. The closest we can get to is the broad years of "early Vasart", "later Vasart", "early Strathearn" and "later Strathearn" ... and even then "possibly" is always a safe caveat to apply.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Liz

• Members
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »
Thanks again KevH,

I did a little more research and found several interesting tidbits about this weight. On your site, I found the two matching canes (red 8 cog daisy surrounded by white) attributed to "likely" Salvadore Ysart. And in the Ysart board, Daveweight has a harlequin attributed to Ysart that has a matching green star surrounded by orange cane.

Still working on the others! So, is this a 67 Starthearn composed of Ysart "leftovers"? How would this paperweight be described?

I really appreciate your help!  :D
Liz

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
So, is this a 67 Starthearn composed of Ysart "leftovers"?
Well, I wouldn't call them "leftovers" - that could imply things that were "not wanted". Probably many thousands of cane slices with the same design were produced. Over the years from their first making, as early as the 1930s for some of them, these canes were simply used by the succession of workers at the Ysart Brothers (Vasart), Vasart Ltd and then Strathearn incarnations of the company.

It would not make good business sense to throw away canes that were still available. After all, these weights that various collectors now spend good sums on actually started out as "gift weights" (ie not made for a specific "collectors market").

How would this paperweight be described?
Very simply as ... "Strathearn PS21 signed and dated". But an extra note can be added: "Contains some canes which were made before the company was renamed as Strathearn."

In studying the canes in this weight I can't actually be sure that, other than the date cane, any of them are true Strathearn canes (ie made from 1965)! The crisp-looking orange-white-blue complex cane may be a Strathearn creation but I have been caught out before by "better" canes ... a good number of well-formed canes are now known from Vasart items.
KevinH

Offline Liz

• Members
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 04:32:46 PM »
KevH...you are a doll!

Thank you very much for your very, informative replies!

Take care!
Liz

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
A Strathearn mystery!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 01:01:05 AM »
Don't forget Vincent was still running things at Strathearn for a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand