No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: c1850 ? white opaline small jug applied red trailed rim  (Read 6401 times)

bfg

Re: c1850 ? white opaline small jug applied red trailed rim
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
ah, yes. good thinking Christine  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
I'm here :) just half term week and not been around.
Thanks Azelismia - mine is very similar but not identical - the differences being that the handle on mine is applied lower at the bottom and mine has an integral wide 'foot' shape to the bottom, and obviously the trailed rim.  But there are definite similarities.  I wonder if the greens are a Harrach 'take' on a Baccarat shape, or going back to Ivo's comments, whether mine might be Bohemian.  I think mine's still in question then :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:41 AM »
Harrach made them in white with colored rims as well. Baccarat and Harrach are very very very similar in this period. You can't rule out Baccarat following Harrach on this instead of other way around as well. :)

is this a documented Baccarat shape as well or something?

I believe Josephine also was making opaline/alabaster with the colored rims. I'd have to check my books but I do think these are a lot earlier than the 1870's. I think 1850's.

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
Actually, ignore my postings in this thread until i can get around to some fact checking in teh books. I keep looking at this forum right before bed when i shouldn't be getting side tracked into looking at books : )

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
I think I was wrong about the shape. it does appear to be the same shape but it's supposed to be 1830 so I don't think it's really the same. they're little line drawings. Anyway. I take back everything I said about documentation from Harrach on this particular shape. Never mind. move along nothing to see here :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
ok thank you for checking, that's very kind of you.
 So, so far the  documentation we have is the Miller's book with an identification in it of Baccarat for my jug.  I'm comfortable with that until any further pattern books evidence is found.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
Searching through for Annathal pieces,  I came across a little opaline jug 'Bohemian probably Annathal at Schüttenhofen, mid 19th Century' sold through Fischer's Auction. 
It's not the same as mine, the foot is different and there is no trailed rim, although it has some similarities.  I'm just including it for reference.
http://www.auctions-fischer.de/kataloge/online-kataloge/196-i-europaeisches-glas-studioglass.html?kategorie=2&artikel=13067&L=&cHash=7fd66f58f8

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
Ivo takes the prize I think :)  for first mention of Bohemian -
This one is the same shape as far as I can see, the same handle applied on the inside of the body at the top of the rim, same rim, also with red, circa 1840
and apparently Bohemian
http://service.kunstversteigerer.de/de/i/9476695/p/36/

It is enamel decorated, mine is not - but nice price  :D

The description says:
'Kleiner Henkelkrug
Böhmen, um 1840 Weißes Alabasterglas mit um die gewellte Mündung aufgelegtem roten Faden und Dekor in Matt-, Poliergold- und bunter Emailmalerei: Ranken mit Blattwerk und verschiedenen Blüten, u.a. Rosen sowie Weintrauben. Henkelende beschl. H. 11 cm'

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
<folds both hands together and raises them above his head>   Yeayyy!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2015, 07:15:01 AM »
 :-* Ivo
  the jug shape of the body isn't identical and the handle doesn't have the thumb mark on it, but it's very close.
And interestingly I found two jugs in the Harrach book that have the tri-shape rim and the inside edge applied handle page 145 and 102.  They are larger jugs and different body shape but both opaline glass and date to c1845 and 1842.  The link between those two and my jug  is that going back to my original post, I wrote this:

'My searching brings up a jug (different decor but on opaline glass) that appears to have a similarly applied handle and shaped rim and with a rim that curves down at the front spout, that is attributed as probably Baccarat - it has a hand enamelled mark on the base 'P and then a number'. '

The link I gave to that piece has gone now, but that way of marking is seen on  Harrach pieces  (with the caveat that I have one piece that is similarly marked and is in question over whether Loetz or Harrach still - shape not matched to either maker)

m

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand