No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: c1850 ? white opaline small jug applied red trailed rim  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: c1850 ? white opaline small jug applied red trailed rim
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
I couldn't get Frank's link to work either.

In your links m there is nothing remotely similar to the shape/decoration of the two opaline jugs of which we are speaking here, and as you don't have the Miller's book you're not going to see the example I mentioned, but I assure you the similarity is striking.
Neither is there any mention in Miller's of the source of the Baccarat attribution (not unusual in books) - someone's personal experience no doubt.
Suggest you send images to the V. & A. or Broadfield House, otherwise leave yours as simply French :)

P.S.    Does anyone else have this particular Miller's book??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
Paul,there appears to be two Antiques Glass Checklists - what is on the cover of yours please?
thanks  :)
oh,don't worry, I've worked it out
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
My comment was about the jug showing the roots of the items linked tp so no help on this topic.... just continuance.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
Just looking at Felice Mehlman's book page 79 and over to 80 , The Illustrated Guide to Glass, it says
'By about 1825, the fashion for coloured glass led to the introduction of opaline (see also pp 216-218), a semi transparent opaque glass .....'

I just thought I'd add that here because I can never remember the start date for the opaline.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
Paul, thanks for that.  I orderded the book and it has arrived and I would say I'm very happy to go with Baccarat opaline based on the definite similarities between the two pieces.  The book was reissued in 2000.

However... I found this on Mark's lovely site - it bears little similarity with my jug at face value, until you look at the shape of the rim and the way the handle is applied over the top of the rim - that is where the similarity definitely is and this is id'd as Bohemian.  It could well be though that the pinched trefoil rim and the way the handle is applied was a feature of 1840 glass regardless of region
http://www.markwest-glass.com/DynamicPages/Enlargement.php?StockID=2360

I'd still go with Baccarat based on the id in the book and I think looking at other pieces it is c. 1840 ish.  I'll keep looking though.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »
I think these were the pair of  jugs that were on ebay recently, anyway, they are green opaline uranium glass - very similar to my little jug especially in the rim shape and the way the handle is applied.  The owner has attributed them to Harrach by linking what I think was the original image of my jug and also a link I'd referred to earlier in this thread to red rimmed opaline glass on Collectors weekly.  I wondered whether they might help confirm the Baccarat id given by Mark West or indeed lean the attribution further over to Bohemian again?  Anyone have any thoughts as to the colour of the opaline glass and the gilding?  I meant to link them when I saw them on ebay but forgot.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/76892-pair-of-harrach-creamers?in=441
thanks
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »
I don't know if your jug is identical in shape to the one on collectors weekly but that shape (the one from CW) is shown in one of the two harrach books in an opaline.

bfg

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »
 ??? where is m? mia for a week now

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »