No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: One for the wildlife lovers - ID = Hedgehog by Miloslav Janku for ZBS  (Read 2792 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
To my untrained and Antipodean eye, this little guy is a hedgehog in amethyst glass. (I have a couple of glass echidnas, which are different animals entirely - even I know that much!). He is 5cm high by 5.5cm wide by 9cm long and weighs about 300g.

Could the surface be moulded like that or is it cut? The eyes are clearly cut, because they have been left unpolished. The base is highly polished but has some wear marks.

It is signed, apparently by "M. Ganton" or something like that. Who is that?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: One for the wildlife lovers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
Hi,

Your hedgehog is Czech, designed by Miloslav Janku for Zelezny Brod (ZBS) glassworks. You can see similar ones in the 1970/11 Czechoslovak Glass Review here.

It's a lovely item, but I'm not quite sure whether or not your critter lost the tip of its nose somewhere along the way.  Perhaps it was made that way?

Anik

Edited to add:  Looking at the CGR photos, I don't think your hedgehog suffered damage -- the smaller one also has a stubby nose.  :)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: One for the wildlife lovers - ID = Hedgehog by Miloslav Janku for ZBS
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Thanks, Anik. Great result. i wonder how the pattern on the animal is made: moulded or cut?

Is the Czechoslovak Glass Review generally available on the Internet? It seems a great resource.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
I think the needles on your hedgehog are cut.  If I'm wrong, someone will certainly correct me.

You can access the CGR (as well as other fabulous resources on Czech glass) from Jindrich's Ceskoslovenske Sklo website:  http://www.cs-sklo.cz/   

Anik  :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
I have your lovely Janku hedgehog's brother in neodymium glass.
Anik is correct,  his nose is perfect.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand