No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salviati serpent and dolphins pitcher 1866-1872 -  (Read 10541 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Salviati serpent and dolphins pitcher 1866-1872 -
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:00:21 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
I've been through the entire net and also the Museo del Vetro catalogue of approx 550 pieces of Salviati 19thc glass and apart from the one picture at Gardner and Barr I cannot find another example of this ewer or pitcher.  I think it must be very rare now.  There are  few ewers/jugs in the collection in comparison to tazzas/beakers/goblets -  Out of 550 pieces I found 54 ewers.  Reassuringly many of the pieces in the archive are very damaged so I don't feel bad about my jug at all.  Mine has a hole in one side that seems to have been a long burst stretched bubble - there are some large bubbles in the glass.  I found very similar damage on another piece in the collection and the same with large bubbles.  Some do not have feet, others are fragments only now and some have more damage than mine.   
My ewer seems to have an interesting repair on the neck where the handle joins - done with clear glass somehow.  There is one Dolphin face that is completely intact which is a great reference.  The serpents top part of it's mouth (is that a lip lol?) is chipped at the end but it does mean you can see the gorgeous red tongue. 

I've linked to another vase that has a serpent on it where you can see the eyes and the face of the serpent are very similar to mine. Same time period of 1866-1873
And one which has dolphins with ruby eyes. Again same time frame.

It appears mine is about 140yrs old this year - I hope I haven't just jinxed myself only to discover it's a reproduction  ::)
I will be looking after it very carefully from now on :)  I've sent an email to Gardner and Barr to ask if they have any more information.  I'll add if they get back to me.
I've will add some more close up pictures
http://www.archiviodellacomunicazione.it/Sicap/ShowDialog.aspx?TITLE=VIEWERTITLE&TBL=OA&ID=321360&Ext=jpg&Folder=&MODE=VIEW&OPAC=DEFAULT&WEB=MuseiVE

http://www.archiviodellacomunicazione.it/Sicap/ShowDialog.aspx?TITLE=VIEWERTITLE&TBL=OA&ID=303553&Ext=jpg&Folder=&MODE=VIEW&OPAC=DEFAULT&WEB=MuseiVE

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
I'm so green with envy it's taken me this long to comment without spluttering or being vitriolic because you have it and I don't - I've been repeating and repeating my mantra of "what a friend has is never lost" and it's finally sunk in enough for me to say,

Congratulations, well done, I'm so pleased and happy for you, it's gorgeous and glorious and fabulous and fascinating!
(Honestly:-* :-* :-* )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
 :D  thank you.  It's going somewhere safe (not be knocked over as I did with a beautiful perfect antique vase last week  :-[ - does that make you feel better  ;D )
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
I feel better that you've put it somewhere safe;  ;)
the other thing is a shame and I'm sorry.   :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
Sheldon Barr has come back to me very kindly and confirmed this is a Salviati piece.
I'm now off to get a copy of his book "Venetian Glass, Confections in Glass, 1855-1914," Harry N. Abrams, 1998
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »
Wow, fabby in green.

This is the only image I have of this one in aventurine and girasol, it is cropped from a group photo and sadly it looks like I forgot to keep any others. Naughty...

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »
were they all the same ewer?  or different pieces?

I could not find any at all online anywhere including in the museum in Venice online collection.
That green one is the first one I've found.

I remember Sheldon Barr saying mine was an early one iirc.

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
That was my understanding of the predominantly aventurine pieces as well, much more 1860 to 1870 than 1890 and later.

Bought those four all on the same day a couple of years ago at Newark, from three different dealers I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand