No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salviati serpent and dolphins pitcher 1866-1872 -  (Read 10498 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Salviati serpent and dolphins pitcher 1866-1872 -
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
I'm in shock.  I've never before bought anything I could identify so quickly or definitely. I just decided to trawl Gardner and Barr just in case...and there it was.  Sadly it has damage but honestly I don't care.  I have only one other piece of Venetian Glass and now this one (hope the link works).  The eyes are the same as well, black on milk glass so apparently it is an early piece.  I'm so excited, can't wait for it to arrive.  I'll post pics when it does.
http://www.gardnerandbarr.com/home1.html?gallery

oops the link doesn't work but if you wish to scroll through it's about half way through and called as per the title. 
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Salviati serpent and dolphins pitcher 1866-1872 -
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »
Looking forward to some photos m.

The gallery has just provided a clue to one of my bits too.  ;D

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
I'm just looking forward to seeing it in real life to see whether or not it is for real and not reproduction.  The only other example I can find is on the Gardner and Barr site and they reference one in the catalogue.  I've not managed to find a single other example.  I can post current pictures but they aren't that great and I''d rather wait til it arrives and I can see for myself.
It has damage and repaired damage so I'm keeping fingers crossed ;D
 m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
pics with their permission
I will post some more when I collect it.
I think (hope) there is a good chance it is original and it will be lovely to hold it and see the thickness of the glass etc. despite the damage  :)
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
I saw that and thought about bidding but the phone bill is due and I gave in to common sense,although this is rare,I wondered if it was Salviati,the foot and colour remind me of my tiny vase,id'd as one of 'his' ;D well the colour might be a bit different ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
thanks Keith. That's a very sweet piece.  The one I've bought is 9" high I think.  Really looking forward to seeing it now.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
Well it's arrived and I feel pretty sure it's an original Salviati piece.  It's been through the wars but the dolphins faces are mostly ok and the serpents face is fine along with tongue! - hopefully a great reference piece.  It measures 9 3/4" tall and 3 3/4" at widest point v. the G&Barr 10", there are slight differences in the execution of the Dolphins tails for example and the windy way the handle is applied but I think these are creative execution differences and acceptable.  Otherwise I'm fairly confident this is an original piece.  Thoughts anyone?
  The eyes on the dolphins look black on one of them but on the other two are very dark ruby/amethyst.  The handle is fantastic in the Vetro a retorti as per the Gardner and Barr example - beautiful.
Weighs 450grms or 16oz. 
Does it look and sound right?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
more pics

Offline keith

• Members