No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Brierley ( Murano ) weight.  (Read 2368 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Royal Brierley ( Murano ) weight.
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
3 inches tall, still in the box, seems a good fit but has a flat polished base and is not etched like my other, have I bought a standard Murano or a RB'y 'Murano' ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Royal Brierley ( Murano ) weight.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
I think it is a standard Murano, on the basis of the "very coggy" canes used, such as with many Fratelli Toso, Ferro & Lazzarino, etc. items.

Referring back to a thread from six years ago: Only 50 Royal Brierley Paperweights all over the world???, I do not know whether Bob Hall's information in his book, told to him by folk at Royal Brierley, was accurate but the book info states "four designs" and that the base (ground?) was either blue or green.

So, if the detail in the book is correct, then a clear ground does not fit for the Royal Brierley millefiori weights.

Also, in that other thread Alan Thornton referred to his website page for his "Murano Project". The weight being referenced is this one. And the overall look of the canes and the general features of the weight are very similar to the example shown in Bob Hall's book. They do not have the "very coggy" canes.

However, it would useful to know whether anyone can show examples of other Royal Brierley labelled (or otherwise marked) millefiori weights that can prove the existence of "more than 50" or any with a clear ground.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »
Thanks Kevin, I had seen that post but took a risk on this one, still learning, here's my blue ground and etched Royal Brierley weight...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:30 PM »
Your blue-base example has exactly the same canes as in Alan's weight (in his Murano Project).

And the canes are all in the same positions of the rows.  The only difference (apart from the detailed shapes of the canes caused during the working) is that the pink/white star-centred row in yours has 11 canes whereas Alan's has 12.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
Thanks again, looks like I only need to find the other 49 !  ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum