No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mini Selkirk or not  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Mini Selkirk or not
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
This is currently on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTTISH-SELKIRK-GLASS-PAPERWEIGHT-SMALL-SIZE-/121007251932?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3132543967907142309%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D7%26sd%3D400333974702%26
Only 1 3/4 inches, frosted base and no engraving. I am aware from the catalogues that there were some "mini" weights made but size is not listed and I cant find this design. Is it right or a case of a spurious label?

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Mini Selkirk or not
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
Hi Nick,

This is hard to say.  I have never seen a Selkirk weight finished this way (unpolished with a label - that combination is odd). Also, mini Selkirk weight are less common. On the whole, this weight does not look Selkirk to me; but I may well be wrong. All sort of unfinished/unmarked weights came on the market when Selkirk closed abruptly in 2006. So it could be one of those.

I am not sure that I am being very helpful here... Sorry.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

There are at least 3 'Selkirk' out there that I made under Dave MacGregor's tuition at Selkirk one afternoon....but the factory closed before they could be sent on to me.  They were then sold off with the other stock.  The designs were 'ice pick' flower style weights. The image shows one shortly before I last saw it, as it went into the annealing oven.... :'(

Not signed by me, of course - but very rare! ;)  Who knows what else there might be of that nature....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
I recall many years (maybe 10) calling it at the factory and chatting with Peter Holmes and picking up one of his limited weights.  He had a number of small weights like this in a basket on his shop counter which he referred to as pebbles which he said he made for the passing tourist trade.  These visitors would not be willing to pay for his normal stock, but would be more likely to buy one of these for a few pounds.  These may even have been smaller than this one.  He gave one to my daughter.  I will have to see if I can find it.   
Martin

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
The miniatures are described as 2.5 in

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
The miniatures are described as 2.5 in
Thanks,  just realised that my link goes to the first page of that set, if you click on the second page that appears below there is one described as tiny, this was the one I was considering.

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand