No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian faceted paperweight with 5 flowers... help please  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Bohemian faceted paperweight with 5 flowers... help please
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Hello,

I'm competely out of my comfort zone with paperweights -- please be gentle with me.

I have a Bohemian paperweight which I would like to know a little more about. It's got 8 kite-shaped facets at the top, followed by 3 rows of 6-sided facets, then 8 somewhat triangular facets at the very bottom. The edges of the facets are crisp / sharp.

The weight has got 5  multicoloured (though white is the predominant colour) flowers, each with an air bubble in the middle. The stems sprout from a green mottled base. 

There is significant wear to the bottom.  It stands 10cm tall and weighs 837g.

Is the weight from between 1900-1930?
Are the flowers in mine called 'trumpets'?
And is it a desirable example of a Bohemian weight?  (I really don't know what paperweight collectors look for or pay attention to when it comes to this type of weight.)

Thank you for your thoughts and help.
Anik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Bohemian faceted paperweight with 5 flowers... help please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Is the weight from between 1900-1930?
Yes, that's about as close as you will get. It may be Bohemian or Czechoslovakian.

Are the flowers in mine called 'trumpets'?
No. "Trumpet flowers" are those where the petals are all joined together, similar to a convovulus. Your weights has "five-petalled flowers".

And is it a desirable example of a Bohemian weight?
To those who collect that type of weight, it may have a desirable feature that improves their collection. But "desirability" is always a personal view.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Bohemian faceted paperweight with 5 flowers... help please
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
Thank you very much, Kevin.  Much appreciated.

Anik

P.S.  I do know that desirability is a personal view, but I was wondering if certain features are less or more common than others, i.e. the number of facets, the type of flower, the colours, etc.  But I'm satisfied with your response.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand