No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall blue and mica two handled vase - ID = Made in China for Dale Tiffany  (Read 6499 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
The vase measures 26cm tall, the main body is mid blue with almost copper looking mica and a few light green streaks. The base has what looks like a pontil scar but not rough, do not think it is though.
Any possible ideas clever peeps?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Tall blue and mica two handled vase - ID help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:34:12 AM »
This is one of the vases marketed by Dale Tiffany. I don't know much about Dale Tiffany or where the glass is made. This is one of their more common designs. I've always thought that it was attractive. How is the quality?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »
They are certainly pretty new and appear in many "antique" centres. The copper looking mica is aventurine, which is a special copper containing glass that is melted in a chips. The quality is quite good. The aventurine suggest China to me

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks all, you are all right!!

TxSilver - I have written to a company selling "Dale Tiffany" glass and they have confirmed for me that they are indeed made in China.

Lustrousstone - Yep, China and the quality is quite good.

The advertised prices for such pieces was a bit of an eye opener but to be fair, they are quite nice pieces.

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Re: Tall blue and mica two handled vase - ID = Made in China for Dale Tiffany
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Just had another look on the net and Amazon com have a large range of this glassware for sale, their .co.uk equivalent do not seem to stock this maker at all for some reason.
I assume that they are/were predominantly made for the US market.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
I suspect they are marketed by someone else here. They are pretty common in the UK

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »
Lustrous - I have done a search on ebay UK and there is much written about the maker/marketing Co "Dale Tiffany" within the results, from "high end glassblower based in California USA", "North American Glass Master Dale Tiffany"  to the vase being part of "Tiffany's Milano Favrile line".

Oh, and not to forget this one "Dale Tiffany, Inc., the world's foremost developer of fine art glass lighting and accessories"

I guess the selling jury is still very much in its infancy ;-)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
I am even more confused now by this youtube video which implies, rightly or wrongly, the pieces are made in the USA by Dale Tiffany, Inc.- IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT9RLi9nqIA

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
Assembling a stained glass lamp from bits of glass and metal is not the same as blowing a vase or creating the bits of coloured glass to make a lamp. A hobbyist could do it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand