No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Happy 50th "Birthday" to the Studio Glass Movement - Studio Glass 1962-1979  (Read 109157 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I was pleased to find this London Glasshouse goblet the other day . Signed by Jane Bruce , London Glasshouse, 1977. It's 9 inches tall .

http://www.caa.org.uk/exhibitions/archive/2008/glasshouse/jane-bruce/
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Quite a piece of history there, Mike. And quite a pretty one too.
I'm not fond of the colour mix, but I am droolling just a bit, because of what it is. I didn't set out to collect studio glass goblets, but it sort of happened along the way. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Sue ! I saw it in a small junk shop and thought 'oooohh that looks interesting !' and it was !! Very pleased to hear you collect them too  ;) It was good to find out she was there at almost the start of the Glasshouse and was taught by the great man himself !

http://www.samueljherman.com/Journey/Journey.html
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D I know exactly what you mean. It's just stunning to think of the origins and what has come from that, since.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Note the random lozenges on the second piece.  ;D
(which should clearly contain some delicious artisan gin  ;D )
Remember the random lozenges on the one-off piece made by Michael Harris in '64 at rogaska sklo?
Recall the random lozenges on the work by Iestyn Davies...

Not forgetting of course, that originally, lozenges were not random and not neccessarily cut through layers of colours.
A new use of old techniques.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I do like the second V&A one ...as you say it would make a lovely spirit bottle  :D

Interesting too that the Glasshouse was set up just at the time Michael Harris left for Malta ...obviously MH thought to replicate it all in a warmer climate !!
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think there were financial considerations taken into account (help to set up new businesses) over the move to Malta, rather than the weather, which the Harris family obviously liked.
(Although I can remember my mother loved the sun, and just assumed I did too. I didn't, I hated it. Small children are not supposed to be deep fried.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Yes I'm sure ! What a huge leap to take ....to give up a well paid and secure job at the RCA with a young family ...too ! What  amazing foresight !

(differant times in those days ...I remember , too well , turning into a lobster on family holidays !! )
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
He did have plenty of support for the new venture. I was concerned about that myself when I was speaking to Michael's twin sister, who told me that Lord Queensbury was fully behind him, as were his parents. It was a time of confidence and hope, back then.

I had to do the miserable lobster thing too. Mother just covered us in horrible smelly brown oil which was supposed to enhance the "tanning effect" - hence my use of the expression "deep fried". >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand