No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Happy 50th "Birthday" to the Studio Glass Movement - Studio Glass 1962-1979  (Read 110875 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Sorted for you Sue and Greg.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks Anne, just sent you a message, through the report function. Sorry I may have sent more than once as I had run out of characters, coupled with the fact it's early morning and I'm trying to reply from my phone! Please also feel free to delete this ramble! Thanks for all your help. Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
An early Studio goblet which I suspect came out of the Glasshouse, and made by Annette Meech in the early 70s.

The construction of the stem is different to other examples of her work I have although I see Annette did also produce goblets with stems of this kind.  Just wondered how this compared to your Annette Meech goblet Sue? Has all of the other characteristics you would expect of this period.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
My true Annette Meech goblet, which is signed and dated '72, is very like that. I cannot find a pic.
It has a wonky merise, the bowl is squint. Your merise and bowl are a bit tidier!
Under the merise there is a 3 part stem in blobs, like yours.
But my top round blob must have caused some difficulties, it is patched together from two bits, hot glued.
The bottom blob, is wider than the middle one, which is wider than the top one (they are graduated in size) is a sort of slightly squashed squarer shaped one which it sits in a very neat "well" of glass, rasied from the base. Your "well" looks a bit more cobbled together.

The bowl of mine is quite nicely rounded, but has a sort of waisted broad neck and flares out at the rim.

With individual variations, different wonkinesses and the alternative bowl shape taken into consideration, I'd say they are the same. ;D But mine is a lurid pink with silver salt decor and black patchy bits.
Not quite a thousand words, a pic would still have been better. :-[ :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for taking a look Sue and comparing it against your piece, good to get your thoughts.

I tried to drop Annette an email but see she retired a few years ago now.

Forgot about your dislike of anything pink 😃

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D It's more cerise than pink, really. It's "baby" colours I detest, out of which pink is most vile offender.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
On these rather cold days, a picture of a small group of Herman's work produced in deep burnt orange colours.

The smaller example in the centre dates to the early 70's and was blown at the RCA. The examples on the left and right are later and date from the early 80s and are typical of Herman's work produced at Lots Road.

Enjoy.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Happy 50th "Birthday" to the Studio Glass Movement - Studio Glass 1962-1979
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2023, 02:14:53 AM »
An interesting article here with some history in it - from 2008 an interview with Keith Cummings (I think George Elliot should have been spelled Elliott with two 't's on the end.

In it Keith Cummings appears to say George Elliott worked for Whitefriars.  I didn't know that.

Also regarding Keith Cummings - some info:
Quote 'He began teaching on the Stourbridge course in 1967 and later became its head, a position from which he stepped down in 1995 to become head of research. Now 68, he still puts in half a day a fortnight to supervise PhD students. His career has given him an overview of virtually the whole history of studio glass in Britain. ...'

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/international-glass-phenomenon-3956790

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2023, 11:07:33 AM »
I believe that interview with Keith Cummings was in connection to the Glass Routes exhibition, which is where the other information on George Elliott came from which is also documented on the GMB.

Interesting to read that George Elliott worked as a designer for Whitefriars.

Just to add below a further interview conducted with Keith Cummings in 2017.

https://heartofenglandglass.co.uk/further-higher-education/wolverhampton-university/research-at-wolverhampton/prof-keith-cummings/

One of the most fascinating accounts regarding the origins of the Studio Glass Movement I have come across and one straight from the horses mouth can be listened to in the below link, which contains a number of interviews conducted with David Queensbury and is part of the British Library's 'National Life Stories Collection'. These I understand were conducted in 2003-4 and part 16 features discussions around the birth of the studio movement and the RCA.....Enjoy!

https://sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Crafts/021M-C0960X0016XX-0016V0#:~:text=Architecture-,Art,-Authors

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2023, 12:19:05 PM »
Thanks Greg- and btw I forgot to mention that's a lovely collection in the post just above these :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand