No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Happy 50th "Birthday" to the Studio Glass Movement - Studio Glass 1962-1979  (Read 109144 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Happy 50th "Birthday" to the Studio Glass Movement - Studio Glass 1962-1979
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Ooooh, your red Jam Factory Sam Herman '75 is even nicer than my red Jam Factory Sam Herman '75..... :'(
I've got an unmarked bit of green mottled glass, it has been designated as 99% likely to be Sam and Jam Factory by Adam A.
pics here.

Yes, the Studio Glass Movement did take off in different places at different times, and Sam Herman's influence cannot be understated!

I should have said more in my first posting about the origin of the pieces - John Lewis and George Laisner are both American artists.

There were others though, who, while not influenced specifically by the Toledo lectures origins, were still moving in a similar direction - as flying-free has already mentioned, Benny Motzfeldt in Norway was taking glassmaking in this direction, as was Eisch in Germany - both breaking away from big manufactures to concentrate on individually made pieces.

In Poland, in the mid-'60s, artists were also experimenting with individually made pieces within the big factories - for example Felix Nawrocki.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
I can't remember the details but there was a big gathering in the UK at some point (late 60's early 70's?) and Benny Motzfeldt was there along with Jiri Suhajek if I recall correctly.  There may have been others but I can't remember the info  ::)  I'll try and find some link to details on that later.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
I still haven't got "my" Jiri Suhajek yet. I know what I want.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I keep an eye out for it still  :) (for you I mean, not for me  ;D)
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
Some of these have been on the GMB previously, the majority being blown between 1968-70. Includes pieces by Wayne D Filan, Jiri Suhajek and Sam Herman.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
I don't think it should matter about pieces having been here before Greg - this thread is simply about early studio glass, all together, to put the early days and emerging styles into context - and to celebrate it!
So it's wonderful to see stuff that's not just Mdina - some of who've been specifically collecting early Mdina obviously have a head start in this area,

but there is a lot more to the Movement than the one branch which started in Malta, even though that has spread and branched consideably itself.

Should we impose a "too late for inclusion" date? If so, when?
I was thinking nothing from the '80s, but then I couldn't put in my Jim Megura vase, or my Norman Stuart-Clarke goblet from a workshop he did in London... but, are these too sophisticated?

I'm expecting a "new" bit of American Studio Glass soon. Frederick Warren'75.
It's being held to ransom by parcelforce, who have paid tax on it for me (it shouldn't be subject to tax as a signed piece by a known artist) and are also charging me for having done so. I didn't ask them to!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
Well, Ill toss a bit of American glass in the mix.  Mark Peiser, 1969.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
Lovely, thank you so much!
We need more American stuff.  LOTS more American stuff!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
Just my view but I think the first seventeen years of Studio Glass should be included on this thread, with the title adapted to read 1962 - 1979 (Or up to ten years after whenever SH went to the RCA was it '69?)
And how about then:
A new thread should be started for Studio Glass 1979-1989.   
And a subsequent one for Studio Glass 1990 onwards.

That way the board will have a record of Studio Glass 'through the ages'.  Once pieces are loaded you may well be able to see 'influences' for each period as it were rather than them being mixed up in one thread.

As I said, just my view - please debate  ;D

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
In terms of time frames, I think M's suggestion of including pieces up until the late seventies in this particular thread is a good idea. I think SH was head of the glass department from 69-74, although was also a research fellow their a few years before around 67-68. So anything studio pre 79 would seem to work for this thread.

I also like the idea of creating separate threads going forward in time 79-89 and another from 90 through to the present. It would be nice to get a view/reference over these different periods, reflecting the changes that occurred as the movement evolved and grew.

Look forward to seeing your Frederick Warren piece Sue when it arrives, Parcel Force can be a bit of pain sometimes when purchasing from aboard, the added admin charges can be a little hard to stomach, especially when you haven't asked them to do anything!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand