No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date for Derbyshire salts  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date for Derbyshire salts
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
the appearance of this trademark doesn't look quite like that shown in the books, and made me wonder if there'd been a subsequent slightly re-modeled version of the mark.       This one is quite sharp so not, I don't think, a worn or damaged mark (it's on the bottom of the inside).
Am I correct in saying this trademark belonged to John Derbyshire, rather than James  -  also is it true that the company ceased completely somewhere in the late 1890's  -  and is it possible to tell approximately when these salts might have been produced?
I very rarely see pieces from Derbyshire - so assume they made little in comparison with other factories.     I think these are in better than average condition for their age, although some wear on the extremities and base.
Thanks for looking. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: date for Derbyshire salts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
The pattern is virtually identical to registration 274961 (8th Aug 1873) - John Derbyshire.

https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshire-brothers-designs-by-date/derbyshire-brothers-1873-1874

"sugar cream and service" - registration shows a sugar & creamer only. Perhaps they produced a full set but didn't bother to put the lozenge on the other pieces, or maybe this is a slight pattern variation to the registered items, and therefore not registered.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: date for Derbyshire salts
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
thanks Neil  -  I should have remembered to look at you pictures first of all - and do agree the pattern looks very similar  -  it's possible maybe that there isn't enough space on these salts to place the lozenge in an acceptable location.             It struck me that the outline of the anchor and top ring, looked slightly different from that shown in the book, but perhaps just artists licence.      Anyway, it does give me an idea of the date. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand