No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Glass with Quote  (Read 2210 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Davidson Glass with Quote
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:57 PM »
Hi, I have seen similar pieces attributed to Davidson but cannot find this piece. It is 12.5cm in Diameter with the quote 'A good name is better than riches' Is this a Davidson piece and does anyone have an idea on age.
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
Re: Davidson Glass with Quote
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:42:17 AM »
I have this same item in transparent blue. This example has embossed characters on the underside that read as follows: 'REGISTERED DESIGN NO 2971'. I don't find this recorded by either Jenny Thompson or Raymond Slack, although Thompson and Slack do list 297157 for Thomas Webb & Sons, Manchester, in 1875. Any thoughts? Much appreciated!
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »
very interesting.......     Despite seeming very obvious that the wording refers to a British Board of Trade Registration No., it's an idea that almost certainly is a non-starter.          A four digit No. of this similarity would have been Registered in early March 1884, a few months after the use of lozenges had been abandoned permanently, and as James has commented there is nothing - at least in the reliable sources of Registrations - showing such a number - for CLASS III glass for anyone.
The nearest Davidson Registration I can see off-hand occurs in March 1888, and is a five digit number.

This is either from a mould of another factory, or might it be a George Davidson factory pattern design number? - but doesn't look to have anything to do with Board of Trade Registrations.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:48:23 AM »
I do not believe that this information could be helpful but I've got a white plate exactly the same as Pete's also without any Rd mark - I might recall that I bought mine down-under... Australia or New Zealand  ;D

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
hi Pamela  -  assume from your comments that yours is a white opaque vitro-porcelain example...........    as you say, it doesn't really get us any further forward :)

just as a matter of curiosity, I will look at 2971 when I'm at Kew early next week.         Davidson not really my area, although believe that some of their C20 Board of Trade designs carried both a U.K. Reg. No. and ditto for Oz - but don't think this method of dual Registration was active in the C19. 

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
Hi Paul and Pete, sorry no, my plate is clear transparent white, never would have thought that yours, Pete is vitro-porcellain  :o  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
sorry Pamela  -  the confusion is no doubt my fault.             If we use a glass description of 'white', in English, then we'd be implying it was opaque and probably white vitro porcelain.               If we are speaking of something like your example then we'd simply say it's clear glass.
Pete's plate might be described as transparent pale amber, I think, I hope ;D

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
 ;D ;D :-*
I most liked James' description: transparent (blue in his case)  8) :-*
Pamela

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
Paul, please have a look at 297157 (22 Dec. 1875 for Thomas Webb & Sons, Manchester). I think this could be a case of the last two numbers not being put in the mould for some reason.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
Unfortunately, unrelated, as you can see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand