No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hoya ?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Hoya ?
« on: April 09, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
V thick v heavy lead crystal cut to clear, sloping rim.
Not VSL as unmarked
So Hoya ? Other ?
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Hoya ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »
I went through my Hoya catalogs for the glass sold in the United States.
99.8 per cent of the crystal was clear. The colors used were rose, red, and cobalt blue.

The Orrefors Gallery in New York was next to the Hoya Crystal Gallery. My wife managed Gallery Orrefors and there was a very good relationship between the staffs of the two galleries. We cannot recall this piece being in
the New York City Hoya gallery.

We do not know what products Hoya imported to Europe so we cannot make a final decision. Just wanted to let you know the American experience with Hoya.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Hoya ?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 06:48:03 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Not VSL as unmarked[/img]

Few VSL items are marked, but this is no VSL colour, nor their rim finish. Maybe Atlantis?

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Hoya ?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »
Thank you Bill for taking the trouble to do that.

Yes most of their production is still clear but they now do perhaps a slightly higher proportion of colored glass including some cut-to-clear.
viz http://www.hoyacrystal.com/Vases/CFS020TB.JPG shown at http://www.hoyacrystal.com/

What made me think of them is their very high quality glass, their deep and adventurous modern cutting styles and the non-tradional color Iin this piece. May be worth an e-mail to them to be sure.

However there must be other firms whose production fits that profile but I I just don't know who - am out of candidates !

Thanks Ivo
I thought of VSL because of the extraordinary wide range of colours they have done over they years but I admit I have not seen anything by them in this color.

Atlantis
Also seem to be only or mainly clear crystal but some interesting rims on these vases http://www.smallislandtrader.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/crystal/atlantis/moonstone/splash.htm?L+trader2+jnkw7655+1144626701
is that what made you think of them ?

Can't find an online catalog or company site which shows their products but found lots of Atlantis at online retailers. Absolutely nothing in color though.
Pete

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Hoya ?
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »
Peter - I really like that thing!  Those of you who know me will be aware that I'm not a collector and that only items of technical interest normally wake me up.  This is the first time that I can remember that anything on this board or its predecesser has inspired me write a non-technical comment.

Maybe this shows that my taste is a bit peculiar and I doubt if I would go so far as to give it house room, but I repeat - I like it!

Adam D.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Hoya ?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 07:38:01 AM »
Peter, I hope you achieve an answer. It is a beautifully executed piece. Hoya
Corporation seem to be, just that.  

Hoya glass is of a lovely quality and it  is hard to find out about. I've being trying to find out about one of their artists, T. Yamamoto, for 6/12.  
Ruth

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hoya ?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
http://www.hoyacrystal.com/
Peter look under Internet selection > Art in the menu and there are some bowls which are reminiscent of yours - not the same, but showing to me the same quality and characteristics.

There's also a rather nice graphic showing the two ways they make glass here on their Japanese site (text is Japanese but the pics tell the story regardless): http://www.hoyacrystal.co.jp/japanese/glass/glass03/index_g03.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Hoya ?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »
Peter - thanks for sending me the link to this thread, I thought it might be helpful if I posted my VSL here for the purpose of being able to compare it to yours.  Mine is signed Val St Lambert so there's no disputing and it does bear some striking similarities to your piece...

http://tinypic.com/xm1qhh.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand