No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini Pulegoso / Bollicine set, Carlo Scarpa?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Venini Pulegoso / Bollicine set, Carlo Scarpa?
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Nice find from yesterday's fleamarket (and I am rather proud that I bought it before I noticed the very faint Venini acid stamp):
small set in bubbly Pulegoso / Bollicine technique, dish 9 cm diameter, vase 7 cm high.
Interesting feature: the dish has a circular polished pontil mark, while the vase has a flat polished base.

Both have the 4 line acid stamp ("venini mvrano", with a seperately stamped "MADE IN ITALY"), which should date them to 1930s to 40s I think...

Were these designed by Carlo Scarpa? -- I think the technique is his, but don't know about the shape.
Wayne had one of them in his shop, attributed to Scarpa >> Link

Thanks,
Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Venini Pulegoso / Bollicine set, Carlo Scarpa?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »
My first reaction was, yes, they are by Scarpa. Then I checked the new book on Scarpa by Marino Barovier that draws on new reference material, including material found in Venini that had been thought to have been lost in the fire, and I didn't see them in there.  The simple bollicine pieces of the early 30's all have some kind of a foot on them. The later sommerso and a bollicine pieces, most of which have gold foil in them, are similar in shape to these pieces. None are plain, however. I'll have a look through my other Venini books tomorrow as I'm getting very sleepy.

The book and the exhibition associated with the book, which is running on San Giorgio just off San Marcos in Venice, says that a bollicine is a variation of pulegoso. The difference is that pulegoso used pasta vitrea. A bollicine is regular glass injected with Sodium Nitrate.

Two fabulous finds, Michael.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
David, thank you so much for your comment (and for doing research on my behalf).

Am I right -- regarding the acid stamp -- that my pieces date to the late 1930s approximately?
And did I get it right that they are rather "a bollicine" than "pulegoso"?

I saw the same set (obviously a smoking set) on ebay, with added gold and controlled bubbles >> Link -- so I am missing the pestle obviously; well, it may have got lost during the past 70 years...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
Michael,

On reflection, I think the pieces are designed by Scarpa. Techniques and designs were mixed at Venini. For example, a piece that was designed as a bollicine would also be produced as pulegoso. Also, I did find a couple of examples of white a bollicine pieces from 1932-3. The shape from yours is from the sommersi series, 1934-36. Although the pieces were designed in those years, they continued to be produced for years, often one shape using the shape from one line with the technique from another line. The acid stamp is also strong evidence for Scarpa as it was used 1935-45.

Wayne's piece is similar to your piece, but bullicante rather than a bollicine.  The pieces in the book aren't shown with pestles, btw, but I'm sure they could have been added. Scarpa wasn't against functionality, after all.

My suggestion would be to contact Venini, who I've found  to be remarkably helpful. I mentioned in one post that on my last visit to Murano I spent an afternoon in the store talking about glass with a sales assistant. She pulled out some special pieces for me and produced some reference material, even after I made it clear I wasn't buying anything. When I left the store, she even shook my hand and thanked me for coming in. 

Here's a piece of mine that is a similar shape to your piece but from the sommersi series. The acid-etched mark is from 1930-1945.

Once again, great find!

David

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »
Thanks again, David!
Good idea to write to Venini, they were very helpful with my "Inciso" vase.

Isn't it amazing to find these pieces amongst some junk on the ground?
I love the fact that Venini marks are almost impossible to detect (if you don't know what to look out for) ;D

You have to come shopping to Vienna one day...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
Michael,

The Vienna idea sounds great. I suspect there's far more there than here, and that the prices are better, too. I did buy my Scarpa at an almost-flea market along with a mini Vallien piece. I had to restrain myself when I noticed the markings on it.

David

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
I had already bought the small vase for 4 Euro, when I spotted the dish (and the mark on it); the seller gave it to me for 1 Euro more.
But prices vary a lot...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
Michael,

Amazing prices. I couldn't buy a used jam jar for that here. I paid $110 for the two pieces and that I though I'd got a great deal.

David

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
But your Venini bowl is much more attractive...
My two small pieces are nice, but not that spectacular. (Still not easy to find such early Murano glass here, so I am very glad).

If you ever come to Vienna I am sure you will find some nice 1950s Czech glass at reasonable prices :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand