No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio Glass Movement 50th birthday party, 1980-1989  (Read 16841 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Studio Glass Movement 50th birthday party, 1980-1989
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
In order to try to keep a good chronicle of images from the Studio Glass Movement, some folk have suggested (and I agree) we should divide the thread into decades.
This thread is for pieces from 1980 to 1990.
To kick off, one of my very favourite pieces of my whole collection, from Jim Megura, a good friend of oldglassman's, now in the same business as Peter - antique drinking glasses and a prestigeous author on the subject. Not making glass any more, a great loss to all of us.... but I and others,  have told him to start again!  ;)

And an unusual perfume bottle from Iestyn Davies, dated '88. I don't know where this was made, it involves two different shades of gold foil at different depths within the glass. It does not look as if it had anything to do with his time at Strathearn and as far as I know, different shades of gold foil were not used at IoWSG.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Studio Glass Movement 50th birthday party, '80s-'90s
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
I'm going to copy some information out of a book I have
'Contemporary British Glass' Published in January 1993 to accompany the exhibition 'The Glass Show', a Crafts Council Touring Exhibition.
( Mods please delete if I should not be copying this)

Firstly two comments found in the chapter " ' British Glass A Short History', Dan Klein, Vice President, Christie's, Geneva, European Director in charge of 20th Century Decorative Art "

"Whilst at the end of the 1970's there was considerable blowing skill in Britain, glass casting was in its early days.  Undoubtedly Keith Cummings has been the chief inspiration to the next generation of students after him, and his pupils include Colin Reid, Tessa Clegg, and Keith Brocklehurst."
page 15

and

"If the first wave of British glass artists concentrated on blowing, the next development was a long period of technical discovery (concerned as much with developing the machinery itself as with perfecting skills in using it).  This began at the end of the 1970s and spanned the 1980s, with the inherent risk of the technique itself becoming the art form."
page 15

the following chronology taken from pages 9 and 10

1980 -  Keith Cummings publishes 'Techniques of Glass Forming'

1981 - Corning Glass Museum's 'New Glass' exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum

1982 - Glass Symposium, NOvy Bor, Czechoslovakia
        - Sunderland Polytechnic glass course established
        - Coleridge of Highgate 'Class of '82' exhibition, 23Sep-9Oct, first of a series of yearly exhibitions at Coleridge of Highgate

1983 -'Directions  - Touring exhibition of B.A.G. (this is British Artists in Glass) shown initially at Commonwealth       Institute,London

- Coleridges opens at Piccadilly Arcade, in London's West End

1984 - Ulster Museum begins collection of contemporary glass
        - B.A.G exhibition at Shipley Art Gallery in Gateshead,Tyne and Wear, and later in Boston Massachussettes, USA
        - Rachel Woodman set up studio with Neil Wilkin in Bath

1985 - Architectural Glass conference, Novy Bor, Czechoslovakia
        - 2nd Coburg Glass Prize for Modern Studio Glass in Europe, where Diana Hobson wins a major prize.
        - Glassworks (London) Ltd, established in Finsbury Park, London by Catherine Hough, Simon Moore and Steven Newell
        - Studio Glass exhibition at British Crafts Centre (now Contemporary Applied Arts), Covent Garden, London 12July-10August.  Also in 1987, 1989, 1991

1986 - 'Glass in the Environment' sponsored by the Crafts Council and Royal Institute of British Architects, aided by Pilkington Glass Ltd
        -  B.A.G. exhibition at Liberty's Department store, London

1987  - B.A.G. exhibition at Harvey Nichols department store, Knightsbridge, London 13 Sep-18Oct

1988  - 'Interglass Symposium', Novy Bor, Czechoslovakia

1989 -  Wilson and Gough opens Draycott Avenue, Chelsea, London
        -  Design Museum opens at Butler's Wharf, London
        -  Coleridge closes

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »
I've got a few photographs of the Ulster Museum of Belfast contemporary collection....
here are some from the '80s.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
These are early pieces blown by Neil Wilkin.  In 1984 (or 1985 the dates conflict in my book) Neil Wilkin set up a studio with Rachel Woodman

The white bowl is part of a set I own and they are unmarked but from the '80s I believe and confirmed Wilkin pieces.
The bowl with the green rim trail or lipwrap is marked W&W Bath 1985 and I believe that is a Neil Wilkin and Rachel Woodman piece
The blue trailed vase is another early piece blown in 1986 and marked Neil Wilkin Bath Festival 1986

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Norman Stuart-Clarke egg exhibited at Coleridge Piccadilly - made when Norman was at the London Glassblowing Workshop and signed Norman Stuart Clark LGW 83

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
Iestyn Davies 1998 Blowzone Pefume bottle
Blowzone was started in 1987
A Daniel Edler American studio vase called Flora and dated 1990
Daniel was one of the founders along with Harvey Littleton and Dominick Labino
A Jenny Blair Designs perfume bottle impressed on base JBD

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »
HEINER DÜSTERHAUS  for Vera Walther
I think this belongs here?  My bottle vase is signed and dated '85

http://gold.beepworld.de/myindividuality.htm

and an iridescent vase from Peter Layton made whilst London Glassblowing Workshop were at Rotherhithe (opened 1970 - source Contemporary British Glass published in January 1993).  I think this vase is 80's rather than 70's but it's not dated, just signed.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »
I am unsure whether this belongs here, but have estimated it might be - it could be earlier though.
signed George Elliot Worcestershire
http://www.glass-routes.com/elliot.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

Norman Stuart Clarke vase called Red Mountain and made whilst he was in Praze an Beeble around 1986
Please search 'Norman Stuart Clarke' on this board for more information on his history

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:21:07 PM »
That would go so nicely with my goblet, produced in '83 at the London Glass Works!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand