No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Photographing paperweights - techniques and tips  (Read 3307 times)

Offline dfernbach

• Members
Photographing paperweights - techniques and tips
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:08:10 AM »
You all know that I'm far from expert in the field of paperweight identification.  I'm equally inexpert in photography, but I can be awfully stubborn when I'm on a project.  :!:

I have a Canon S1 IS digital camera (needed the big optical zoom for a trip to Alaska a few years ago).  I suspect however, that the ability to shoot photos through the computer (I'll get to that) probably is available with the software that comes with lots of cameras.

I started taking pictures of paperweights the "old-fashioned way" - brightly lit room with as few reflections on the weight as possible, hold the camera as steady as possible and shoot.  With enough shots of the paperweight, I was likely to get some satisfactory shots.

The next big step was when I figured out that I'd be better off with the camera on a solid surface rather than hand-held.  I further refined this trick by setting the shutter on a 2 second delay.  That way I could press the button and get the *&%*&^$& away from the camera before it took the shot.  This technique also let me play around with setting exposures and f-stop (yeah, I guess it's an archaic term, but I'm an archaist).

The problem with all of the above was that I would shoot 2 or 3 or 50 or 60 shots, then download to the computer and start eliminating and editing.  Invariably I'd realize that there was another angle I should have or I really wasn't happy with the shots.  Go back to step 1.....

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered the mother lode:   :shock:  :lol:  I can hook the camera up to the computer, take the pictures using the mouse, have them immediately load into the computer, and be able to see each shot immediately!    :shock:  In the Canon world, this shows up in the interface software as a tab marked "REMOTE".
HALLELUJAH!! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!   :D  :)  :lol:  :shock:  :shock:

My latest revelation is that I can return the Klieg lights to the rental center.  Working with just a low level of ambient light, setting the f-stop to 2.8 (as low as it will go) and using exposures anywhere from 1/10 second to 2 or 3 or more seconds, I'm now getting photos that ACTUALLY look like the paperweight.   AND since I see the photo on the screen immediately, I can immediately decide what to try next.

Look forward to learning what others out there have found!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand