No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass decanter / jug age help please  (Read 4195 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
glass decanter / jug age help please
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
tried to age this decanter myself any help  would be greatful. i think it might by victorian about 1880 ish. stands about 18cm high
think it might be a water jug as it wouldnt hold much wine or spirit. i think the crest on the front might be an Earl or a Barrons crest. it has a ground pontil. could it be from a household and not the main glass used think it would be more decorated if used by an earl.
im probably totally wrong
thanks
stew
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: glass decanter / jug age help please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
In view of handle I'd suggest technically not a decanter (although you can get decanters with handles)  -  there doesn't appear to be any evidence of abrasion that occurs within the neck where a stopper would sit, so most likely a water jug or wine carafe.     I think this style of crest is called 'demi-rampant' - this one looks a little like a griffin, possibly? - something similar, but with lions, forms the mark for Greener and Davidson pressed glass.          This one is wheel engraved and looks as though it's rising from a coronet maybe - looks good quality, and quite adequate for nobility ;)    I'm not sure about who is entitled to wear what - is it a Baronet that may wear a coronet?
It may well be c. 1880 - difficult to say looking only at the screen  -  you don't give any indication of wear, which of often a good indicator.
Either side of the main frosted band, and the central crest, there is a continuous chain of wheel engraved small ovals - a style of decoration which goes back to the late C18, but am sure was also used during the Regency and early Victorian periods - so much was copied - and the handle looks more late Victorian than earlier.          No motto either, so no help there, but would look good on the table and might impress guests ;D 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Neither coronet or griffin are particularly English. More French/Spanish. Fairly well executed so the crest should be traceable... Note tail, fore-claws, beak etc. On coronet decoration close to the that for Marquess or Marquis in Spanish/Italian style.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
Hi ,
   This form of coronet is frequently found on continental European wheel engraved glasses  from Holland ,Germany, Bohemia and Scandinavia , many can be seen in the Rijksmuseum catalogues, yes Paul another publication for you but a wonderful 2 volume set, unfortunately pretty costly.

cheers,
               Peter

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
since I now try to restrict my collecting to British only, I think I can sleep at night Peter even if I don't have the Rijksmuseum catalogues ;D - only the one book this week, so far, that I didn't have and need. ;)
This looks quality wheel engraving, of which I'm a big fan, so perhaps I too would  have succumbed and bought this piece. 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
Intriguing I eliminated all of those countries except Scandinavia on the coronet Peter, but eliminated Scandinavia on the griffin... sounds like useful books though.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
  " since I now try to restrict my collecting to British only, I think I can sleep at night Peter even if I don't have the Rijksmuseum catalogues "

They are crammed full of wonderful British glasses too !!

cheers,
              Peter.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for looking and for all the info
 i have been trying to find the crest all day i have found it on a few web sites but they say it is unidentified.http://armorial.library.utoronto.ca/stamps/ZZZ113_s1
photos of the base (what i should have done in the first place being a regular visitor) has quite a few age marks on the base
one thing i have noticed is the handle looks hollow whether that matters for ageing it. is it true that the ground base makes this made after 1800

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
I can't help with your decanter but the base doesn't look like a 'ground base' to me.  It looks as though it has a polished pontil mark?
m

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
I can't help with your decanter but the base doesn't look like a 'ground base' to me.  It looks as though it has a polished pontil mark?
m
  thanks for looking. i dont really know what the difference as my glass experience is limited. i thought the pontil was ground down leaving a concave dip in the glass like people say with whitefriars glass to my untrained eye i dont know the difference, and can that change the date of a piece.
thanks
stew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand