No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive Harrach Pedestal Vase - Etruscan  (Read 4453 times)

Offline antonizz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
Re: Massive Harrach Pedestal Vase - Etruscan
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2021, 10:27:19 PM »
Yes, it is!  I especially like the picture they send with it.

And it came to mind...  that it being described as "beinglas".
Now I'd say it's made of opaline glas. And then I recalled that bone ashes were used in the opaline glass,
to give it the oplascent effect. (The orange glow/flare, when held against a light source).

Now would that make any sense?

By the way the LITERAL translation of the text in the image they send me, on google-translate is:
(Most of it is accurate, but little parts of it aren't)

Harrachov glass in antique style / Jan Mergl.

_____

Bowl with faithful antique medallions, item no. 26/2 (AH 269)
________

Bowl on the leg with a base.
Around 1864.
Shape: Item No. 26/2.
Execution: Beinglas with red and Roman figures.
H. 48.6 cm.
Museum of Glass, Harrachov, inv.c.4462.

_________

White opal Beinglas glass, blown into a mold. The pedestal and foot are covered with red enamel, red decals are colored in the advanced medallions - the head of the Immaculate Highlander and a woman's head with an antique beard. Pile of matte, with colored decals of wrestling ancient warriors.

With another variant of the decor with large medallions, the bowl is drawn in AH 269.

In the company documentation there are several dozen different decals of Mythological figures, ancient Roman figures or medallions with human heads, see AH 288.
J. Brazova identified the companies Kosch, Viden, and C. Hesse, Leipzig, as Passau, as the supplier of the decal. 1995, Bd. III, C III. 27.

Pr .: FA - AH 269 (shape)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2021, 11:01:32 PM »
Does yours glow when it's held up to strong sunlight?  with an orange glow?
If not then I would not describe it as Beinglas.  Milchglas is another descriptor but it doesn't look like that to me. 
If no glow then I would describe it as alabasterglas.  Which does not have the glow as they used something else to opacify the glass (tin rather than calcined bones and arsenic I think? - open to correction on this as it's been a while since I read up on it all)

And thank you for sharing that information.  I have the book - I'm interested in the decal information so need to go and re-read it.

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2021, 03:16:59 PM »
Haha this is quite stupid though. I thought it had this opalescent effect.
And I double-checked: It doesn't glow. I was confusing it with an other piece I bought recently.

And I have recently bought this box. It's quite nice.
A napoleon III piece, made around 1855.
It's definitely called opaline glass. Has no opalescent effect.

There's just opaline glass that glows, and opaline glass that doesn't.
There's also a variation in colors, and milkyness/soapyness.

Thanks for all your help though!!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
CAn you enlarge your photographs please so they load as 600 x 400 pixels.  That way the pic can be opened to show the details.
Not able to enlarge your photos at all means any help or info you might get is limited :)

Thank you

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
yes :) some that glows and some doesn't depending on what was used as an opacifier.

And yes, it's all opaline glass however over a period of time, researchers and collectors have used other words as descriptors.  alabasterglas is used in terms of Bohemian glass to denote those opaline pieces which do not glow. 

Milchglas is often used I find, to describe a type of intense white milky Bohemian glass often from the early 1800s and before.
Beinglas is used to denote those opaline glass items that have been opacified ( using calcined bones?) and it glows red under direct sun or light.

I also have a very early 1820s French blue opaline glass that glows bright red under direct light  and a Bohemian piece from the same period that is blue and does the same   :)

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2021, 06:18:43 PM »
I had already minimized the pictures.
Let's see if these are better.

And I'm interested in the opaline pieces you have.
Do you mind sharing a picture of it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand