No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Covered Goblets. Haida (probably) - Pauly & Co label  (Read 6590 times)

Offline allirish123

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
Covered Goblets. Haida (probably) - Pauly & Co label
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
Hello, I'm a newbie here so I am hoping I'm doing this correctly. I recently purchased a box lot and in it was a pair of matching vases? or drinking vessels with very large lids. They are hand painted and have a green label  from Pauly & Co.

I have no idea where to find information out about Pauly & Co. I have looked at their website but other than that I can find no books or anything to figure out who possibly made these items, when they are from, value, etc...

If anyone can steer me in the proper direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
tracy

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Pauly & Co Murano
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:13 AM »
Tracy, Pauly is a company with a long, changing history in Murano. I have read a bit about them, but have not sorted it all. Could you show us a picture of the vases and labels? I suspect from your description of the green label that it is mid-century. From what I've read, many glassmakers made glass for Pauly and Pauly also made some of its own. I've had a few pieces over the years with a Pauly label, but I have not been able to say for sure who made them. I just call them Pauly glass without trying to go further. If you show us the covered vases, someone may have some idea.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
Just to add what Anita wrote:  Pauly still exists as a store on San Marcos Square in Venice, but they are now a strictly retail company, from what I understand.  At one time the company produced their own glass.  As Anita wrote, we'd have to see photographs to say more. It was--and is--a company selling very good glass.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for the replies and information regarding Pauly & Co. I'll take some pictures first thing tomorrow morning and post them.

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
Hi Again!
I'm attaching some pictures of the Pauly & Co pieces. I'm hoping these pictures might help send me in the right direction. Thank you again for your help.

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:43 AM »
Here are a few more pictures. I hope the quality is okay. They measure approximately 10" tall with the lids on.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
These bear some similarities with a Pokal in a book I have from Christie's South Kensington Collectors Guide, called Glass Art Nouveau and Art Deco by Albrecht Bangert - page 39 where it states' c 1925 Bohemian covered goblet'.  I think this should be moved to the Glass section and the title amended to read 'enamelled covered goblets or pokals - Bohemian?'
It might be helpful to click the  report to Moderator button at the bottom of this post and ask for this to be moved and the title amended.
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
I remember reading that Pauly at at some point soldl glass imported from Czechoslovakia, so that's a possibility.

David

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »
they are from Haida c 1915 according to this listing on Liveauctioneers
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3815774

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Covered Goblets. Haida (probably) - Pauly & Co label
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Great spot, m. They look like an excellent match to me.  A reminder to me that I shouldn't focus totally on the label, even when the label is correct.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand