No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Covered Goblets. Haida (probably) - Pauly & Co label  (Read 6591 times)

Offline allirish123

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
Re: Covered Goblets. Haida (probably) - Pauly & Co label
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58:13 AM »
Hello!
WOW! Thank you so much for all of your help. I have been looking for information on these for over 1 1/2 years now. You are all so very smart and helpful.
I'm so very thankful to have found the glass message board, it has been an unbelievable help to me. I know nothing about art glass at all but I do know some about EAPG, elegant, depression, brilliant cut, etc... if anyone ever needs help I will try to find the answer.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have this information finally. I would have never found anything out if I hadn't signed up on the GMB.

Flying free...thank you for having the message moved and also for the link to an exact piece. I don't know how you found that so quickly but I'm sure happy you did.  :D

Langhaugh...thank you also for all of your input and help.

You are all amazing!

Tracy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
You're welcome - they are beautiful pieces!
It might be good to try and find another reference for them as a support for the identification. 
I'll have a look around.
m

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
Hi Flying Free,

Thank you again for your help. I haven't purchased many art glass books yet but will certainly look around. Out of about 50 books only 2 have anything to do with art glass. My husband and I went to half price books after you all figured out what I had but unfortunately they didn't have much in the line of art glass. I'll keep looking though.

One more question about these pieces...Haida, is that a glass maker? Are they located in Czechoslovakia? Actually being the time period they were possibly made it wouldn't actually be Czechoslovakia it was the Austrian Hungarian Empire or something like that. Would it be Slovakia, Hungary or Bohemia? I'm really bad at geography. LOL!

I do appreciate any and all the help that has been given to me.

If I want to try and answer some questions regarding EAPG, depression glass, elegant glass, etc... where would I go to find that. I would like to help others they way I have been helped.

There used to be a glass board on eBay where everyone congregated and gave each other help but eBay being eBay, they took that away. I am so very, very happy to have found this glass board. It's great to have others to speak with and bounce things off of and have them actually know what I am talking about.

Thank you again.
Tracy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
... Haida, is that a glass maker? Are they located in Czechoslovakia?
Haida is the German name for the town of Nový Bor, currently located in the Czech Republic, but which used to be in the general area of "Bohemia".

Nový Bor was a major centre for glassworks, so although the town has been suggested for the goblets, the actual glassworks still remains unknown.
KevinH

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Obviously I have a lot of learning to do yet.  :) 
I can go and do some research now with all of the information everyone has given me so kindly. Since I feel kind of foolish right now, not knowing that Haida was a town, I really should go learn about this aspect of art glass and geography.  :-[

Thank you again. If I figure out anything else about these pieces I shall give an update.

Tracy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »
Tracy, I was exactly the same when, ages ago, someone told me that one of my vases was 'definitely Haida' - I had not a clue what it meant  ;D
I have been looking around for another id on the goblets, nothing so far but I will keep an eye out. 
It's possible the glass was made at one place and the enamelling done at another  :)
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
The enameling would probably have been done by trainees at the Glasfachschule - the famous glass school in Haida.

Offline allirish123

• Members
    • Everything Glass
    • Greenfield, Wisconsin
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
Hello again!

Flying Free...Thank you for your reply. It is true, we all had to start somewhere. It was 10 years ago now that I first started learning about American Glass and although I feel knowledgeable about it, there is so much more to learn. That's the wonderful beauty of glass and porcelain, there is always detective work to do and along the way not only do you learn many things, you also meet so many wonderful people who share your passion. Also thank you for keeping an eye out for me. If I do find anything I will certainly post what I find.

Ivo...Thank you for the additional information it's greatly appreciated. Now with all the information I have been armed with I am off the try to figure all of this out and hopefully come up with something.

My husband thinks I'm nuts when I have pieces of glass on my shelves that have been there for years now but I will not give up on eventually figuring out who made them, when they were made, etc... I have quite a few items that have been on my inventory shelves for over 6 years but refuse to give up. LOL!

Offline Marie Olehag

• Members
    • Beyermann&Co Bohemian glass
    • Sverige
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »
Hello all of you in this (pretty old) thread! Late responding - hope you are still here!
I am searching info about a glass maker that was active in Haida 1865 - 1928, Beyermann & Company.
Not easy, I have been doing this for 8 years and am still looking for clues everywhere.
So I noticed this thread and I want to ask you;
Was it so that Haida Fachschule did only the painting? And the glass somewhere else?  And so on...
And...Tracy, How did it go with the ID of the Goblets? / Marie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand