No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Non catalogued Monart bowl ?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Non catalogued Monart bowl ?
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
I bought the purple and white bowl last month on an on line auction house sale, at the time I was bidding I was under the impression it was a Monart bowl shape IG, when it arrived it was apparent it was not shape IG. Looking through the Monart catalogue I could not see one of the same shape.
Then one came up on ebay recently, the same shape and size.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ART-DECO-MONART-BOWL-/110974274045?pt=UK_Antiques_
Both bowls have the type of finish on the base and pontil (highly polished) which is indicative of the post 1947 era.
This would explain why the shape is not in the Monart catalogue as no new shapes were added after circa 1938.
The vendor has kindly given me permission to use is images.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Non catalogued Monart bowl ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Gary, is the pontil mark /button on your bowl highly polished?  The photo may be deceptive, but it looks to me as though the base on the purple/white bowl is highly polished but the button pontil mark is actually finely ground but unpolished, i.e. not clear and shiny see-through.
I'm asking because all the bases on my vases are shiny polished but have a finely ground pontil mark, matt not shiny see-through and I'm trying to clarify my understanding of what constitutes an un-finished base and what doesn't if you see what I mean.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
Both are finished. See discussion in other thread.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
Mystery solved, they are in fact a post war variation of the shape IG.
Link below shows a post war labeled IG shape. Though the vendor has dated his piece wrongly ie 1930s
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signed-Monart-Art-Glass-Art-Deco-Cluthra-Bowl-Moncrieff-Scotland-Circa-1930s-/150806999837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231ccc331d

The image is of a pre war version of shape IG.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
Top one could be Vasart... then so too could the second which would make that an early Vasart when they still had the original Kugler colours available.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »

Top one could be Vasart... then so too could the second which would make that an early Vasart when they still had the original Kugler colours available.
What makes you think they could be Vasart rather than Monart Frank.
I can only discuss the purple and white bowl as it is the only one I own.
The base finish is the same as number 4 in the link below, which is listed as a Monart type base  finish. To date I have not seen a piece of Vasart with that type of base finish.
http://www.ysartglass.com/BaseLabel/Bases.htm

Also the link I provided in a previous post showing a Monart labeled IG piece which is the shape as the purple and white bowl.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Gary - when you say the pontil is highly polished do you mean highly ground? is it still matt?
It looks like the same shape as as one sold recently on ebay  - green /yellow listed as monart - "Large Vintage Monart Scottish Art Glass Bowl Green / Golden Yellow Swirl 9 1/2"
I must admit I was baffled by the shape and thought it looked more like a Vasart - though not on ysartglass - but I know there are quite a few shapes missing of the Vasart ones.
But, looking at your neatly ground pontil mark it doesn't look like any on my Vasart - does your bowl have any other grinding around the outer edges? Have we seen any Monart that doesn't have grinding on the base?
What size is yours? It's very nice - can't find the other one though!
Roberta
Roberta

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »
Base pretty much confirms Monart, it was just shape and decoration made me think V for a moment. Plus I doubt you would miss that.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
Gary - when you say the pontil is highly polished do you mean highly ground? is it still matt?

But, looking at your neatly ground pontil mark it doesn't look like any on my Vasart - does your bowl have any other grinding around the outer edges? Have we seen any Monart that doesn't have grinding on the base?
What size is yours? It's very nice - can't find the other one though!
Roberta

Roberta and M you are correct the pontil is of a matt type finish (ie highly ground) and the base is clear and see thru (ie highly polished). My mistake in my earlier description of pontil finish.
The size of the bowl is 25cm wide and 9cm high.

A lot of the earlier Monart circa 1920s had no grinding to the base, see photo below.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
ooh, I LIKE that! can we see the whole piece and colours in all it's glory please? :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand