No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32379 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi Azelismia

the glass was from Harrach...Petr has confirmed the pattern no and sent me the scans from the book - I posted info earlier in the thread :)
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Don't worry m I'm not stalking you on glassmessages....I'm trying to reseach a vase and I came across this one which could be by the same artist as yours (so pleased you managed to id it in the end) ...in amongst the leaves is an enormous insect....

http://pinterest.com/pin/225743000042376639/
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi and thanks  for still remembering as I still don't know who enamelled it.
The one you link to is a lovely Emile Galle vase - if you click on that picture it takes you to one of my favourite sites for looking at gorgeous glass.
I'd love if it had been Galle but I'm sure it's not :)
thanks again for keeping an eye out.  I appreciate it :)
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Ooopps...sorry....thanks for ID !

I have found this (still reseaching my vase) looks like it might be the same hand....

http://katalog.auktionshaus-wendl.com/de/cmd/d/o/119.72-2756/auk/72/p/1/

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you Mike :)
I'll investigate some more with the link to possible Haida and the name I was given by Harrach for whom the jug was made.
Many thanks!
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm wondering if it's possible this was enamelled by Oskar Jummel for Fritz Heckert?  I came across a few pieces again today page 14 two glasses and page 15 some vases.  They seem similar in the way they've been enamelled although the only similarity in decoration is on the right hand one of the two glasses.
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2012-2w-zelasko-heckert-passau-2012-buch.pdf
Any thoughts much appreciated.
thanks for looking :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This has been solved!!!!!  - Thanks to some investigative work  ;D and Pamela helping me on another thread here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56503.msg320334.html#msg320334 (see full details below)

I had always believed my jug was made by Harrach as I said at the beginning of the thread and
many months ago, Harrach confirmed they indeed made my jug and sent me copies of the pattern book for it. 
But they did not enamel the jug.
They also told me who they made it for but were unable to give me any further information on that company.
I believed the company they made it for enamelled my jug.

But I had not been able to reconcile the information Harrach gave me with any further sources because the only source that mentioned that particular company the jug was made for, was the book Truitt's Bohemian Glass  1880-1940.
And Truitt's referenced that company as being a glass Manufacturer
In my head I could not reconcile that Harrach would make a piece of glass for another manufacturer at that time i.e. 1878 when I  know the jug was made (caveat - obviously I understand that makers did make for other companies who then refined it or not, or maybe sold it as their own into the market, but the logistics just didn't sit right with me for some reason). 

I believed my jug was enamelled by the company Harrach made it for.  And despite searching thousands of enamelled pieces I had not been able to match the enamelling on my jug with any other pieces or makers/refiners/enamellers I knew of, i.e Moser, Fritz Heckert, Oskar Jummel, Auguste Jean etc etc. 
There was always something not quite right about the enamelling, it just didn't match mine.  So far I have  only found one possible exception, that being a piece that I am sure was also made by Harrach but the enameller/decorator not known.
But I still couldn't reconcile Harrach making the glass for another glass maker if you see what I mean. Something didn't add up.

Finally I found  another reference in Czech, for the company Harrach had told me the glass was made for!!  See link to another thread where I needed to check my translation/understanding of the information was correct.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56503.msg320334.html#msg320334

This solves my query as to why a piece of glass I own, made in the 1878 by Harrach, was made for Clemens Rasch. 
I had believed from what I'd read in Truitt's and up to finding this article, that Clemens Rasch were a manufacturer of glass (which  they were, for most of the period the Truitt's book covers(1880-1940) onwards).
But from the newly found article it appears that up until 1885 Clemens Rasch were a glass refinery,  and were not producing their own glass until 1885.

So my jug was made by Harrach in 1878, and enamelled by the refinery Clemens Rasch!!!

Who the actual enameller was is a mystery, however I would say he/she was  a master enameller. It explains why the enamelling is so different to any of the other pieces I've come across and why I've never been able to match it.

One very happy glass owner here  ;D

m

For expediency, here is the information from the other thread link:
Quote request from me –
‘I'm interested in this particular glass house connected with a piece I own that I know was made for them by another maker.
I've used google translate (the second link should give an English translate version) but I just want to be sure that I have understood it correctly.  This glasshouse is listed as a manufacturer of glass in Truitt's, not only a refiner/decorator of glass.  Does this information confirm that this is the case please?

http://www.luzicke-hory.cz/mista/index.php?pg=obnoldd

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.luzicke-hory.cz/mista/index.php%3Fpg%3Dobnoldd&prev=/search%3Fq%3DClemens%2BRasch%2B%2526%2BSohn

Thank you in advance for any help, which is much appreciated.

m’

Quote response from Pamela -
‘Unable to help with Czech however the first link you gave is in German language and the translation is not too bad.
If you are looking for Clemens Rasch:

""Im Jahre 1830 errichteten hier die Gebrüder Görner eine Glasraffinerie, die später in den Besitz von Franz Pelikan überging. 1855 wurde sie von der Firma Clemens Rasch und Sohn, die 30 Jahre später hier eine eigene Glashütte baute, übernommen und vergrössert.

In 1830 the brothers built here Goerner a glass refinery, which later passed into the possession of Francis pelican. In 1855 it was taken over and enlarged by the company Clemens Rasch and son here own glassworks built 30 years later. ""

"""Die Glashütte Clemens Rasch wurde nach dem Kriege in den staatlichen Betrieb Jablonecké sklárny eingegliedert und arbeitete bis 1966.

The glassworks Clemens Rasch was incorporated after the war in the state operating Jablonecké sklárny and worked until 1966."""

Here are two postcards from Ullrichsthal:
1905      1936 

Hope this helps   ’

Quote conclusion from me -
‘Pamela thank you 

I'm interested particularly in the mid 1800 period.
So as I understand it, it seems that Clemens Rasch and Son took over a Glass refinery (not manufactury) in 1855.
But then in 1885 (30 yrs later), built their own glassworks (I understand this to mean they were able to produce their own glass from that point on).
This solves my query as to why a piece of glass I own, made in the 1870's by another maker, was made for Clemens Rasch. 
I had believed from what I'd read in Truitt's and up to finding this article, that CR were a manufacturer of glass(which they were for the period the Truitt's book covers onwards), but it seems they were not producing their own glass until 1885 then.

Clearly at the point my piece was made, Clemens Rasch  were still a refinery 

It seems we may have the answer as to who enamelled my gigantic jug with insects on      Very happy.  Thank you.
 ’

Offline Greg.

• Members
Congratulations M, some fine sleuthing.  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks  :D  I'm so happy!
I can't believe it's only taken 18months to work this out  ;D
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Those long ID's are always the most rewarding  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand