No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32345 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Mike  :)  thanks again for your persevering which is much appreciated.

The link you gave has now disappeared (I had a quick look last night).  I think that vase might have been made by Harrach.
I can't explain totally why, but I wasn't convinced by the enamelling being the same to be honest.  I've seen a few that I thought might have come from the same stable as that enamelling with those lovely pale odd greeny leaves etc, but none are quite the same (to my eye anyway, I could be completely wrong of course)for some reason.  The detail isn't quite as detailed, the type of enamel/enamel effect used on my insects doesn't 'appear' to be quite the same.  That said, those photos weren't that brilliant so not being able to see very close up perhaps makes it difficult for me to judge. 
I've no time at the moment to devote to some good old searches, but I will try and find that piece again and see if I can find others to compare.  Thanks again!
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Cheers m ,

Here it is again ! [Mod: see below]

It is excellent work ! I know what you mean and I see what you say ... ;)

Now you have to click on 'refine search' and then type Harrach Moser in the search box. Twelve items appear and it's the second one down on the left.

[Mod: Google search link removed. Please see the direct Ruby Lane link in the next post]

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks :) I couldn't get a direct link to put on here either unfortunately.
I've had another look at the enamelling and I don't think it's a match in terms of artist.  The enamelling has many similarities with other Harrach pieces I've seen though although I don't know who decorated them either.  My feelings are that if the glass were mine, I'd be searching Harrach as the maker.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
The problem is, finding examples with insects ...it's a shame there isn't a depiction of a bee pollinating one of the flowers on this vase !

I  think the crackling on your enamelling might be due to added layers of enamel where shading was required, increasing the thickness and also the possibility of  shrinkage... but this is only my thought.

I will carry on searching  ! Might pop-in in a few months time !

You have done so well in your research and it's such a great topic ! 

Ta , Mike.
Mike

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
For the example vase that Mike referred to, see the direct link to Ruby Lane at:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/1156980-moservase01/Large-Moser-Harrach-Decorated-Vase
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks for sorting that out Kevin ...it is a splendid vase.

I found this vase with some amazing enamelled butterflies , but the style might be different and it    is later, for Heinrich Ullrich , enameller unknown.

http://www.canterburymuseum.com/collections-and-research/experiences/real-design.aspx

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
Mike and Kev, thank you for your input :) - apologies for the delay in replying but life has taken over glass for a while.

I'm no further forward on the enameller so nothing new to report.

Mike I just wanted to clarify that one of the reasons I lean towards Harrach on that vase is the way the handles are bent/made and the thickness of them.  It seems like a 'Harrach quirk' to me (but could be wrong,  just gut instinct :) ).
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
On the topic of the detail on my jug and extremely high quality of the enamelling/artist, I will probably never find the artist , but I came across a close up of a Galle enamelled bowl just now and thought I'd show both the enamelling on my jug (photo attached of close up insect) and a link to the close up of the Galle bowl insect.

Remember the insects on my jug are tiny 2.5cm or 1" or so long, and presumably they are similar on the Galle bowl.  Very different enamelling styles in terms of structure of insect and detail of outline whereby the Galle insect has an outline on each segment and quite 'simple' legs by comparison to the detail on mine. As on mine,  Galle does also use very beautiful colour combinations on his enamelling:

https://leverreetlecristal.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/v34.jpg

The quality of the enamelling on the jug is stupendous in it's detail and colouration.
If you copy  my photo onto word and view it in larger zoom, you can see all the colourful detail of the colours on the antennae and legs by comparison.  Incredible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand