No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32352 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, applied gilded snakes, drip trail rim
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »
I've looked through the Truitt's and Grover's books, but nothing quite like this - colourful isn't the word m!     The Harrach creatures always look so comical, must have had some fun in creating them.      There is a Baccarat piece in Grover with a snake and bug although they look more realistic than Harrach designs, and suspect you correct that it's Bohemian.        I'd agree that the orange fly thingy has been given eight legs, but you must allow for some artistic licence.         Great piece - and I don't see any damage, where is it m?

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
HI ,
        Not the type of glass I usually comment on though for this I must say i think the decoration is WONDERFUL . back to loading the car with my bits and pieces for tomorrow.

cheers,
             Peter.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
thank you both :)  and Paul thanks for going through thebooks again.  I've not found anything in mine either.

Paul it isn't eight legs - the two at the front are pincers or stingers or something similar - the ends are sharp and fine and pointed.  The two front things may not be exactly placed on the head where they should be, but remember my images are greatly enlarged.
see pic here of a wasp as an example -  http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-60477259/stock-photo-wasp.html

The insects I see on other pieces are mostly quite 'simply' enamelled but on this the detail is amazing, no outline, I do think someone who was a good artist painted them.
The snakes are quite comical though in that they seem to be smiling...in the grass.  The whole thing has just been designed so well and thoughtfully.  The blue neck has worn gilded flowers and trails all through the tiny white enamel dots as well.  Hope my pic below shows this - it has another insect painted on the blue as well.
The damage is a vertical  crack down the jug - difficult to see it on display and to be honest I just don't care, I doubt I will ever come across another piece with the level of decoration this one has on it.

It's very heavy weighing 5 1/4lb or nearly 2.5kg, ribbed inside where you can feel very thick curvy ribs and there is a shallow 'foot' integral in the glass. 
I'm coming down on the side that it  is possibly a Harrach vase decorated by Moser.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
It's only just occurred to me to look up the Baldwin Moser book
and look what's on the front cover
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/moser-glass-id-0964708094.aspx
m

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
I think it's absolutely GORGEOUS!
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
I've attached a pic  in daylight now we have some, showing the true blue colours - the handle is a different blue to the neck and snakes. 
I've seen two jugs with what looks to be a handle applied in a similar way, so I think I'm in the right area.
m

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSER-VASELINE-CRACKLE-GLASS-PITCHER-WITH-ENAMEL-STORK-AND-SEAWEED-GORGEOUS-/150920069299?nma=true&si=e0%2Fnq4Co7eubhwLqaMHY5rdTfVw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

another enamelled blue one here attributed as Graf Harrach
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquamarine-Graff-Harrach-Pitcher-ca-1880-1890-/320665118350

Offline penelopepitstop

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • ysart and monart
    • england
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
Green with envy.... ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
Thank you Penelopepitstop :)

I have had a another lovely email back from Veronika at Moser today.  So far they have said 'this glass jug was not produced by Moser glassworks as the design and way of manufacturing do not correspond to the Moser production'

I've just sent another email to ask whether it might have been made elsewhere but enamelled by Moser.

They have also said it was enamelled using a metallurgical technique which is only possible with sodium glass.

I've not found a match for the insects.  I have a new piece with new insects (completely differently done) as well :) will add pics when I get a moment.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
They have also said it was enamelled using a metallurgical technique which is only possible with sodium glass.

That sounds unlikely!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »
Something not yet commented on is that the neck looks as if it's been applied in "that technique what's name I've forgotten".... incalmo? Where two bits of glass blown seperately are joined.

Even I adore all the insects and can forgive it the OTTness for that. I've compared the quality to my Carltonware "New Flies" enamelling and to photographs of Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre - your enamelling is vastly superior.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand