No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32363 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, applied gilded snakes, drip trail rim
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
Reference for above comment from me
The Art of French Glass - Bloch-Dermant
page 27
'The strong and attractive personality present in Jean's work triumphed at the Universal Exhibition of 1878.  Abandoning enamels in the Persian manner,the glassmaker showed vases with highly original, even bold and spectacular shapes, in which he seemed quite at ease in expressing himself.  And the material alone proved sufficient as an expressive means and no longer required decoration.  An orchid vase in blue crystal evinces Jena's technical skill in it's dynamic extensions'.
and
'To show that he was not impervious to the artistic influences of hisown time,Jean looked to Japanese models and made a delightful mauve bottle whose pure shape gleams with an iridescence created by the silver foil fused between two layers of glass'.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 07:05:40 AM »
Ok but it may not mean he made, rather that he designed and supervised. Glassmaker was a bit of a loose term in those days; many glass companies claimed to be manufacturers and didn't actually make anything, though they probably designed and had made to order.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
maybe

In
'The Art of Glass: Art Nouveau to Art Deco
 By Victor Arwas, Susan Newell'

it says

' Curiously the most interesting experiments in the production of what was basically non-functional art glass took place in Paris rather than the traditional centres of glass production in France.  And most were not carried out in glasshouses but by individuals working in small studios'

Auguste Jean comes under this paragraph and section in the book and it goes onto say

'Nothing is known about where he learned his techniques or where he executed his vessels although it is likely he hired a  bench, possibly with some workers, at the 'Cristalleries' de Clichy' in Paris.'

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
with regard to the link Mike gave above here
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/auguste-jean-vase-piriforme-4474069-details.aspx?pos=5&intObjectID=4474069&sid=&page=9
according to the description this is signed J
There is a Jardiniere in Cappa listed under Auguste Jean page 286 that is signed J

Going back to my jug, I'm well and truly stuck on the enamelling.  I can't find any examples at all where the insects or the detail of the enamelling is as sophisticated and detailed as it is on this.  Either Bohemian or French so far.
I'm going to concentrate on the gilding.

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Here is an AJ signed piece....superb enamelling/representation of the flowers in an art nouveau style. Have a look at the butterfly.

http://www.expertissim.com/verrerie/auguste-jean-vase-tripode-en-verre-souffle-a-decor-emaille-or-o12131094.html

You may have seen it though !

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
Thanks!  That's beautiful isn't it -  the butterfly is gorgeous and it has gold splodges on it as well. 
I'd not seen that piece and that you can click and get a real closeup of the enamels as well. 

I think I'm fixated on this jug being Harrach partly because the snakes really are so similar to the one on Mike's site and also because the rim and lip of the jug and the profile are very similar to another Harrach jug I found.

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Yes, I think Bohemia (gilding!) and the Arab market ! Fantastic insects though !! I can't comment on the other links I put forward here....like you m  ;)....but I have an interest in Clichy...that's all !

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
I might have come up with a possible idea here as to the decorator...

http://www.mikeweedonantiques.com/newsite/stock/glass/bohemian/frizhecher/fritz-hecker.htm

If you scroll down towards the bottom (fourth from the bottom,I think) there are a couple of tumblers with similar style flying insects...also in searching for other Fritz Heckert examples I've seen very similar style flowers and ribbed vases...

Hope this can help a bit  ;) It looks quite promissing to my untrained eye ! Here is another example showing similar flowers...

http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/ehtom.html

ta Mike.

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
Thank you Mike :)  It was Fritz Heckert I was thinking of not Muhlhaus.  I've been on a trawl and found a couple on Alisa's Gilded Curio site -
one here that has a similar spirit if different decoration.  The way it is painted and the colours have a good similarity.
http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-316.html
and another, not quite as similar
http://www.thegildedcurio.com/item-62.html

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
The flowers on your second link above look very similar to the ones on your jug, I feel.

So, if Fritz Heckert founded the Petersdorf Glassworks , later ran by his son, do you think that might be where your jug was made perhaps ?

ta, Mike.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand