No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32355 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, applied gilded snakes, drip trail rim
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
Mike I can't answer that question at all I'm afraid.  I suppose it is a possibility. 
I've found another roemer that is a possible Fritz Heckert piece or at least possible FH enamel decoration - it has an insect on.  I have to say this and the other pieces I've seen, apparently  from FH, have the same muted colours and intricacy of the detail  on each element that my vase does....they are the closest I've seen in terms of enamelling, and there is something peculiar about the colour of the leaves that is the same green as the leaves on mine. 
So I think so far, Fritz Heckert is the closest contender in terms of enamelling - thank you for pointing me in this direction  :)

this link is titled Harrach but Fritz Heckert is put forward as a contender http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32251.msg174350.html#msg174350

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »
Having searched under Fritz Heckert , I haven't seen any jugs with applied snakes yet. I had hoped that it might be a known Petersdorf Glassworks jug shape (with or without the snake).

The flying insects have such a distinctive style though , almost cartoon like , there must have been only one decorator who would have painted bugs like that (surely ?) unless they were applied as some sort of transfer to the glass originally rather than painted directly onto the glass from scratch.....but I have no idea about enamelling techniques. The bugs must hold the key to finding out more  :D

It's a shame there isn't more detail on the Mike Weedon tumblers in the link above...I can't see any legs on the insects (there is a dark area behind where they might be though) !!  I wonder if the tumblers were signed ?

I will have a look at Yahoo.de , see if anything comes up ! Good Luck !

Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
 ??? the insects aren't 'cartoon like'  :'( - they are very realistic. The photos I've put up are greatly magnified.
They are the least 'cartoon like' of any of the insects I've seen on all my searches.
Thanks for looking though and trying to help.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
Sorry, m , I used the wrong turn of phrase ! They are superbly animated and realistic (almost scary) is what I meant to say    ;)

I will carry on my bug search !

ta Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
 ;D

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
Hi m

My 'bugs on glass' searches didn't come to much, but I did find this, different style but interesting enough to post a link here, I hope .....

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/62502-czech-french-orientalist-vase?in=1179

ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
It's lovely isn't it?  I've not seen insects like that on my travels - I had it bookmarked because the insects are flatly painted and very neat similar to some on another vase I have.
It may be Harrach but I wonder about the enamelling -

I think my jug may remain un id'd Mike... however I am keeping a watch out for Fritz Heckert pieces now and I think the upturned spout of the jug is still quite a Harrach 'thing'.  Thank you for all your help - it is really appreciated. 
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
It is nice , and I like to read the comments made underneath !

I just can't understand why it isn't possible to ID your wonderful jug ....what is going on ?  ;D

Flumasked, Mike  ::)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
errr flummoxed  ???......don't rely on spellchecker  :P
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK