No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gigantic 13"x 9" enamel jug, insects, snakes, drip trail rim. ID = Harrach  (Read 32250 times)

Offline fontanazul

• Members
  • Kristal-Poesie
    • Czech sklo
    • Málaga - Spain

these insects(and plant) are really well painted.
Perhaps more important than determining the factory, is to know the name and work of this "Tiziano" enamel.
Really a master brush  8)
Daniel Muriel . [Kristal Poesie]

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks fontanazul :)
yes I agree

'So my jug was made by Harrach in 1878, and enamelled by the refinery Clemens Rasch!!!

Who the actual enameller was is a mystery, however I would say he/she was  a master enameller. It explains why the enamelling is so different to any of the other pieces I've come across and why I've never been able to match it.
'

I would love to know who the artist was.
It dates to 1878/1879. 
I will take some  more pictures tomorrow and try and get some clear close-ups.
Unfortunately there is very little information on the company Clemens Rasch at all and nothing from that period.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
fontanazul. do you have any information on the type of enamel that might have been used ?
It's curious because I can't find another piece that has this level of detail in the colours of the enamel, nor that has the 'crackle' effect.  So I wonder what enamels the artist used and whether enamels were combined with another medium.  Whatever they were and whatever medium used would have needed to be re-fired to fuse.  It reminds me of the crackle effect seen on very old oil paintings :) 
m

Offline fontanazul

• Members
  • Kristal-Poesie
    • Czech sklo
    • Málaga - Spain
I do not know everything about the techniques of enamelled glass.
In ancient paintings crackle is usually associated with the presence of black color (black oil is unstable).
What I can say is that the artist who made this decoration was not a means craftsman. The treatment is very pictorial, and classically trained.
Unlike oil painting, get those nuances with the technique of enamel (similar to ceramic case) should not be frequent.
But mostly they are endowed with the "grace"
*any insect is similar
no leaf is the same.
no flower is repeated

Daniel Muriel . [Kristal Poesie]

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have attached some close ups.
The first one is my favourite because of the way the wings have been painted to show their transparency.
The second also a favourite because of the 'cloudy' way the colours have been applied to give the overall effect.
The use of colour is so intricate and delicate and in so much detail.
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
AMAZING long time since my flaber has been so gasted , love it what skill .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you John :)

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The crackling which is caused by shrinkage during firing and here it must have been intentionally used as it only appears where shape are wanted and not in other parts with same colouring.

Quote from: from Glass-study.com
(1907 advert and reference)
CRISTALLERIES D’ULLRICHSTHAL, Maison fondée en 1830
CLEMENS RASCH & Fils, ŕ Ullrichsthal (Bohęme)
Articles d’Éclairage, de Luxe & de Fantaisie
en toutes couleurs, unis, décorés, taillés ou gravés, etc.
Représentant: E. J. CHARPENTIER, 82, Rue d’Hauteville, PARIS
Perhaps that their main product were Crystal and lighting related.

In 1878 they were also listed in Meistersdorf - A new style of frosted pink vases on an opal inner coat, ground in parts to show the opal coating, and engraved upon the pink outer coat. This style is said to have been recently patented.
However Ullrichstal and Meistersdorf were neighbouring towns and the Josef Müller refinery (Muller & Friederich) is listed as Ullrichstal-Meistersdorf. Was he the same person as Dr. J. H. Muller, who worked with Chance Bros from 1940-49, dates would fit if he was Jewish.
Note another crystal maker in Ullrichstal = Muller (Hermann), Ulrichsthal, bei Steinschönau. Which could simply be another company name at the same glassworks.

From elsewhere. A Glasrabrik Ullrichstal appears on a postcard dated 1936. So perhaps they made your entire piece.
Meistersdorf had a glassworks in 1820 and 13 refineries in 1842 by 1900 most of the population were German working in the glass industry, makers, decorators and merchants. 7% Czech in 1930.
Major families Heller, Hegenbarth, Schlegel, Fritsch, Gürtler, Fiedler, Hackel, Mahnel, Müller, Werne.
Ullrichsthal was established in 1764 today it is named Nový Oldřichov. About 60% of its workers were glass painters or cutters, the rest in transport or agriculture.

Most of the Germans were expelled after 1945 but the best glassworkers were kept.

Gives you some pointers I hope. To save reinventing the wheel you could contact relevant researchers here:
http://www.olypen.com/tinkers/steinschonau/Researchers.htm

Steinschonau was in the same area. Glass school established c1880. Area towns are

Meistersdorf, Nieder-Preschkau, Ober-Preschkau, Parchen, Steinschönau, Ullrichsthal.

Glass was the main industry in this area by 1800 (started in 1600s) with 75% of the population involved. Finishers and Makers were separated and until well after 1800 most of the glassmaking was done in the forest, relocating as forest was cleared. Which is one reason that finding individuals is tough. But it was dominated by about 60 families so lots of names repeat from branches of the same family doing similar work.

Some excellent background reading: A July Holiday in Saxony, Bohemia, and Silesia by Walter White
 http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42539

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Frank
I love that article yes :) a lovely piece of reading.
I'm snowed under at the mo but will do some more investigating using the leads you've given and come back if I have anything else to go on.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post the information. Much appreciated.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Just wanted to add this link ... apologies if it has been discussed above already  :)

[Mod: Mike's link is no longer active for the correct item. Please see the direct Ruby Lane link posted later.]

The petals of the flowers remind me of the wings on the insects, almost translucent  . The vase is on the same scale  (approx.) as the jug and seems to have the same coloured handles , with detail at the top of the handle (but in white instead of gold and a different design) . It might be by Harrach (as stated) and might be by the same artist (just a guess here by me  ;)) but it has been dated, c1880 . Again, superb enamelling ! Don't think there could be many people capable of producing this quality of work in c1880 near to Haida (Novy Bor) or Steinschonau (Kamenicky Senov), it's such a small region  . The way some of the ivy catches the light (around the back of the vase) is so true to life and almost three dimensional . You have to look at all the photos in detail to appreciate it  . :D

I don't think this link takes you directly to the vase but it is the 11th down on the left, ' Large Moser or Harrach vase , $600 , GlassCollector.  Ta, Mike.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand