No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Get Frank to...  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Get Frank to...
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:34:38 AM »
Okay, a few years of rare appearances and apart from emails exhorting me to come look at things which others as (or more) capable seem to have dealt with...

If anyone is waiting for me to look at something from past 4 years... well, I am here now and almost daily... but do not bank on it. Lots of other things to do but glad to be spending some glassy time again at last.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Get Frank to...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
p.s. That Anne person has outposted me :-o

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »
And I'm glad you are able to too.
Gorgeous bowl.  :) I've quickly scanned some of your writings on Moncrieff glass but it didn't jump out as to why they used trade names such as Monax and Monamel. Just wondering
Alastair

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
Mon ax  - MONcrieff and AX = Aluminium silicate (virtually same formula as Pyrex which lead to some interesting gentlemens deals with Corning). It became their standard product as it outperformed all the others.

Mon amel  - No idea what this formula was but it was an improvement on earlier ones and was distinguished by an red enAMEL stripe on the gauge glasses. Higher temperature and shock resistance is assumed, the earlier product Unific had higher pressure resistance though.

http://ysartglass.com/Moncrieff/Moncrieffgauge1.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Thank you.
First glass I ever bought was to beef up a chemistry set I got as a child. A street behind the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh - an amazing shop selling a wonderful range of scientific glass and I can still remember the excitement of buying beakers, petri dishes and my very own test tubes. No idea if it was Monax or what. Still fond of the stuff and our macaroni jar is from some science lab as is a beast of a thing that is stuffed with all sorts of baking stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand