No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ring-necked Decanter ID needed  (Read 1619 times)

Offline bardonhill

• Members
Ring-necked Decanter ID needed
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
Hi
Picked up this decanter in a charity shop,some ID would be very much appreciated,
it stand 12.75"including stopper,both decanter and stopper are etched with the number 15,
the base of decanter is star cut as is the top of stopper.
Thanks, Will.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Decanter ID
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
Comparing this design to the couple of hundred decanters in the Molineaux Webb pattern book, I would date this most likely 1850s plus or minus 15 years. I doubt you will be able to pin this on a particular manufacturer. It doesn't precisely match anything in the MolWebb book, but there are a couple of dozen similar designs with ringed necks, circular or oval facets, it appears to have been a very common design motif around this period.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bardonhill

• Members
Re: Ring-necked Decanter ID needed
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
Hi Neilh,
Thanks for your promt reply,and sharing your knowledge,thats been a great help.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
I've had a look through the decanter book, but regrettably nothing really matching.     It's possible this shape might belong to a large group of more or less similarly shaped Victorian examples known generically as 'bludgeon' decanters.      Not a million miles away from 'prussian', but perhaps slightly less fat in the body.      Nice piece with very deep mitres, and good to have the matching stopper :)

Offline bardonhill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Hi Paul,
         Thanks for your time and input it's been most helpful,must get "the book",what is it ?

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
Hi, I think Paul is probably referring to Andy McConnell's (he of Antiques Roadshow fame) book - "The Decanter - an illustrated history of glass from 1650."  I've just stepped in to say that Andy is bringing out a new edition I believe, so don't buy one of the existing copies, the new one is supposedly even more comprehensive.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
you're correct Neil  - I've only recently bought my copy, and it's a very useful book, not just for information on decanters - there's lots of good detail about various aspects of glass - but it's another volume in the Hajdamach vein  -  almost too heavy to hold and certainly not one to read when in the bath.        Could it be more comprehensive :o  ;D           I'd recommend the book even if you don't collect decanters seriously, but do buy the 2nd edition when it's published......certainly the first one became very expensive to buy secondhand.

P.S.   pssst  -  Anyone want to buy a first in vgc with d/w ;) ;)

Offline bardonhill

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
Thank you all for your time and advice,must get my order in for Andy's book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand