No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise fish vase, Salviati style -- maker? age?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Turquoise fish vase, Salviati style -- maker? age?
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
Nice turquoise-blue fish vase on round base, clear glass applications with lots of gold, eyes ivory and black coloured canes, in the style of Salviati 19th century...
Stands 19 cm high, and weighs 320 g.
Base with folded-over rim (there is some colourless glass towards the edge, so it seems to be cased?).

Any idea of maker and age? -- I guess vases like this have been made for a very long time, but the shape seems a little less common than the Salviati dolphin lookalikes; here is a set with 2 similar shaped bud vases >> Link
The dirt of decades is buried deep in the fish' tail (I know, this can happen in a few years, too ;))

Thanks!
Michael

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Turquoise fish vase, Salviati style -- maker? age?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:50 AM »
Hard to know for sure. The mouth reminds me more of the work of Fratelli Toso. However, many could have made this type of mouth, so Toso is only a possibility.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Turquoise fish vase, Salviati style -- maker? age?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Thanks a lot, Anita!
I was afraid that it would be quite tough to attribute my fishy...

I saw these 2 Fratelli Toso fish in your zoo, and the mouth (and the optical pattern in the red one) do look quite similar to mine.
I guess dating my fish will prove quite difficult as well; would the eyes or the turquoise colour indicate anything?

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand