No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help please? Stevens Williams? Uranium Glass Stems Plates  (Read 3289 times)

Offline jpopenoe

• Members
ID help please? Stevens Williams? Uranium Glass Stems Plates
« on: April 10, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »
Hello, my name is Chip and I am located in San Francisco California and was referred to this board as a place that may be able to help share some light on some glassware identification.  I have some Vaseline glass that I believe may be British, I am fairly certain it is not American. The color looks so close to some Stevens and Williams pieces I have had the color is Greenish Yellow Vaseline Color Uranium Glass.  If anyone recognizes this pattern or can send me to the right place to look that would be great.  They are nice quality, plates have ground and polished bottoms.Here are my photos.
hanks very much, Chip

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 03:36:43 PM »
Hi Chip,

Welcome to the GMB! :D

While I'm no expert on stemware, I think the bowl shape is called 'Thistle'. There are several people on this board that could help; Bernard from the Stourbridge side, and Dave (Mr. Vaseline Glass) who might confirm the glass type.

As a suggestion, a photo taken against a white background in daylight might help though :wink:

You can also try the Great Glass site, specifically this link which details stemware and a dating guide.
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/drink.htm
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jpopenoe

• Members
Thanks David
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:37:23 AM »
Hello David thanks for the information.  I will keep an eye out for those guys.  I agree that the form of the wine glass is that of a thistle, that was my first clue that it was from your parts  :D   thank you again and onward with the quest.  I did check out the glass link also.  I  have been there before,  its a great site!!   cheers Chip
hanks very much, Chip

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
... There are several people on this board that could help; Bernard from the Stourbridge side, ...

David — On a good day I might be able to attribute perhaps 2% of Stourbridge (whatever that means) glass with reasonable confidence.   There are many others with far more knowledge than me.

Chip, I had already taken a close look at your glass, and was puzzled as to why you were advised that it was not American.    It looks very EAPG to me.    I doubt whether it is S&W.   However, EAPG styles were made elsewhere, even here in Britain.   Barbara Yates in The Glass Association Journal, No. 2, 1987, reports that the 1881 trade catalogue of Percival Vickers of Manchester includes examples of the 'lacy' glass usually associated with American factories of the period, including two somewhat impractical cup and saucer sets.

As this riveting piece of information hardly progresses your quest for knowledge, I had decided to not contribute, that is, until volunteered by chance  :!:  :lol:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 07:56:24 AM »
Chip
It's not possible to see the pattern on the Thistle vase. Is it the same as the plate ? Colored glass is nearly always best against white.

Have you looked here ? http://www.vaselineglass.org/
More vaseline glass links here: https://www.glassresearch.co.uk/glasslinks/articles.php?lng=en&pg=43

Contact Dave Peterson at the foot of this page
http://www.vaselineglass.org/factory.html
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »
I may be off base, but look at this thread. I was reminded of this when I saw your pics. Just a thought. Terry
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4323.0.html

Connie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
I believe that the base of the bowl on the glass is the same design as the center of the plate.  It looks like leaves.

I have seen this same pattern in pale pink on a tumble-up of beside water set. The glass was very thin.

Sorry but I don't have pictures of it.  It was owned by the Charleston (SC) Antique Mall during the time I helped them list items on the internet.

Offline jpopenoe

• Members
Thanks for Everyones Input
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Bernard, thanks for looking!  I came to the assumption myself as to these possibly being English because of the similarities of some other S&W pieces I have had in the past or at least thought I had after reading the rest of the responses to my post.  "Turkey Tracks" or "Royal Fan" I thought was S&W also and the color and feel of this glass is so right on that I have a good feeling that they are by the same manufacturer. Thanks for leaving me with you input, even if volunteered it is appreciated  :D

paradisetrader - Peter,  thank you the Thistle shape referred to I believe is the form of the vessel which is a stemware piece not a vase, probably about a 4 or 5 oz glass.  I have checked those websites you were referring too before coming here but thanks,  they are wonderful sites in any event and have enjoyed them in my quest for identification.  I will email Dave Peterson and see if he can help too. thank you.  chip

glasswizard Terry,  that is very interesting information regarding the PUKEBERG GLASS from Sweden as I thought too that that pattern was Royal Fan of S&W.  thanks for the other avenue of information.  chip

grayhorse - Connie,  the glass on the plate is heavier and the stem is quite thin at the rim and bowl,  foot is applied and more substantial.  They just light up a dark room with a blacklight on them.  onward with the id quest.  This is a wonderful board.  thanks Chip
hanks very much, Chip

Connie

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 10:11:38 AM »
While flipping through HMW Colored Glass 2, I found the tumble-up that I remembered from years ago.

It is Macbeth-Evans Crystal Leaf as seen on page 254.

Upon seeing it again and having your pictures, I can see that while similar, the leaves are different (more pointed on Crystal Leaf)  and Crystal Leaf doesn't have the little scrolls at the top of the pattern.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand