No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cobalt blue tumbler enamelled decoration??  (Read 1497 times)

Offline sparklie2709

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
cobalt blue tumbler enamelled decoration??
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
HI, new here so please be gentle, and let me know if I step on any toes! I came across this tumbler/beaker a while ago and just fell in love its like something straight out of Alice in wonderland. Recently I got to thinking, its clearly old and tried to look it up. No luck can't find anything really like it - and I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff online.

All I have found are similar tumblers usually victorian often in a green or a lighter turquoise blue, found one in cobalt blue with similarish decoration but no info arrgh!

I'm guessing its victorian, but is it British or bohemian? I can't find any with words on them, does this help to identify it?

Well its pretty and I love it but I also think I would like to know its story, so if anyone can help I would be most grateful. In all honesty if it is worth anything I will probably sell it as keeping it in a house that seems to break glasses on a weekly basis would be a shame, I'd rather think of someone enjoying it than it lying in pieces on my kitchen floor. Thanks for your time
Ellie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: cobalt blue tumbler enamelled decoration??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »
Welcome to the board. Can we have a picture of the rim and the base please.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sparklie2709

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
PLease see post below...
Ellie

Offline sparklie2709

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
OK camera on my phone better than I thought it was so here they are :). The bottom is not ground at all - all shiny with lots of little dimples, there are also some folds? towards the base on the sides of the glass. There are several tiny bubbles in the glass too, the rim is very flat like its been cut? It looks like it may have been ground but is gilded so hard to say, hope this helps :) and thanks again
Ellie

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
There is a strong case for Bohemian - especially when the piece is so quickly made and finished.  The type of enameling was popular in the 1880s. There are superbly made items in white enamel on cobalt blue in the Lobmeyr gallery in Vienna. This would be a cheap version of same, made for tourist trade or fair souvenirs.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »
hello Ellie  -  as you suggested, your rim does appear to have been ground smooth (to provide a level top for the tumbler), and then gilded - a common process on tumblers from that period.        You appear to have a fair amount of gilding remaining, which is not always the case - a lot of these pieces have lost much of the decoration, although even if absent there is often a noticable dull matt area where the gilding was originally (this effect can be seen on the rims of rinsers and finger bowls where the gilding has disappeared from the rim).       This white enameling (as decoration) was used commonly as Ivo has said on very many different types of glass objects - green glass being possibly the most common, but also on cranberry and blue, and a process used frequently in Bohemia, Britain, and other Continental countries. 
Are the words   'Drink It Out'   the full motto? 
Doubt that you'll find any more specific information, unfortunately, and not going to make you wealthy, but an attractive piece to keep :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand