No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LARGE SIGNED JUG ART GLASS - ID = Moshe Pleshet  (Read 4987 times)

Offline iCollect

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Green Uranium Glass
    • Australia
LARGE SIGNED JUG ART GLASS - ID = Moshe Pleshet
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
Hello everyone, Received this beautiful jug recently and cannot make out the signature can anyone help? Origin/maker/year?

stands approx 30cm high.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: LARGE SIGNED JUG ART GLASS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Well the date is 1984 ('84)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: LARGE SIGNED JUG ART GLASS
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:20 AM »
Your jug was made by Moshe Pleshet of Wyaldra Glass. Wyaldra is a locality north-east of the town of Gulgong in central western NSW Australia, where he had a glass studio from 1979 until the late 1980s. Stephen Morris helped to set up the studio at Wyaldra and worked there before setting up his own studio in another very rural setting on the north coast of NSW just south of Woodburn.

The first two pictures below show an earlier and similarly-utilitarian jug made at Wyaldra by Moshe Pleshet signed and dated 1980. There is a paperweight by him signed and dated 1986 on Ross McKenzie's site here. (Ross is member ahremck the GMB.) It has the same insignia as your crimson jug. I don't know what the insignia represents, but it doesn't look like "EJ" to me.

The other two photos show a couple of early Stephen Morris pieces, likely made at Wyaldra. (Other work by Stephen Morris has appeared briefly on the GMB here.)

Trevor

See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: LARGE SIGNED JUG ART GLASS - ID = Moshe Pleshet
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
I've corrected the glassmaker's surname spelling here and on GlassGallery to PLESHET, as Moshe Pleshet emailed me to say the spelling Pleshette is wrong.  Trevor, you may want to check the spellings on your blog too please? 

PS I've invited Moshe Pleshet to join the board if he would like to do so.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:53:47 AM »
Thanks, Anne. And I'm such a stickler for spelling artists' names correctly. I always had some doubts about that spelling, but I took my lead from the website of Stephen Morris.

I hope Moshe Pleshet comes along to the GMB - or at least makes contact with me by email using the link in the panel on the left that looks like an envelope.

I'll fix the blog, too.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Ta Trevor.  :)   

I hope he joins us too. It's always good to have input from working glassmakers.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand