No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pauly & C calcedonio vase....  (Read 2713 times)

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
Pauly & C calcedonio vase....
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recently bought this Pauly & C calcedonio vase and was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying who the actual artist was?

I believe it is from the early 20th century but haven't a clue about Pauly & C or the artist's that work under that name.

It stands 4 inches tall and about 3.5 inches wide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rob

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Pauly & C calcedonio vase....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:07:28 AM »
I suspect it's Francesco Ferro e Figlio, retailed under the Pauly & C. banner rather than working under it, per se. Likely 1890s onwards.

The 'NR' on the label stands for 'non ripet' - or non-repeatable - so was probably an older piece dug out of their warehouse a few decades after the fact.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
Pauly came into existence in 1902. The label looks much later than that to me. Pauly did some of their on glass from 1926, but I've never seen information of who made the rest of it.//

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
Thanks Pinkspoons and langhaugh, that's great information.

They certainly don't make it easy do they. I'm finding it very difficult researching older pieces.

Are there any web sites or books that deal specifically with glass from the late 19th to early 20th century?

rob

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Pauly's archive did include items that predated the company's existence, though - the 2005 Sotheby's sale, The Pauly Collection of Murano Glass, illustrates a few items from the latter half of the 19th Century. Presumably, then, they bought up older stocks from factories as well as retailing contemporary lines.

That means, unfortunately, that the date of the company's formation can't necessarily be used as a baseline date for items bearing their labels.

Although, yes, the label itself is much much more recent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand